Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Flowers and cake

I am trying to plan our wedding from Nebraska. We are getting married in Muskegon in September so I am trying to get some ideas on flowers and cakes because we will only have time to visit a select few when we are home. Any suggestions??

Re: Flowers and cake

• Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our flowers done at Horrocks.  Awesome prices!!!

Cake, hands down, SweetCakes.  Barb is awesome and really easy to work with.  Plus they had a lot of flavors to choose from.
  • Options
    shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flowers - I would recommend Elements of Elegance (review link in siggy) or Ele3 Events. 

Cake - I would also recommend Sweet Cakes Designs (Barb Hoek, as Amoro mentioned) or Mirabella Confections.  We went with cheesecake and used Weddings by Sinful Cheesecake (great option if you are open to alternatives!).
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I second Shrades' suggestions for Elements of Elegance.  I haven't gotten married yet but my experiences with Dee have been wonderful so far.  Very fair prices, honest, flexible, etc.  I had some florists try to cut corners and Dee doesn't.  She also was able to work the flower I liked that was expensive into my budget. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    shwethasrinshwethasrin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amoro how was your experience with Horrock's? Who did you work with there? We are thinking about going with Horrocks possibly. 
  • Options
    Spartan5Spartan5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using Barb of Sweet Cakes for cupcakes and then I'm using Shelly's Design Florist
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    cake.... we opted out for a traditional cake and went with coldstone

flowers.... We are using shellys designs florist... she is fabulous
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_flowers-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:33a70d7b-def7-4c99-945d-18150d63e512Post:1c29c33b-a76b-4375-9915-5969e30314c5">Re: Flowers and cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amoro how was your experience with Horrock's? Who did you work with there? We are thinking about going with Horrocks possibly. 
    Posted by shwethasrin[/QUOTE]

My experience with Horrocks was great.  I worked with Amy, but I'm not sure it matters.  Admittedly, we only had the bride, bm's boquets and a couple of corsages for my mom, grandmother and MIL.  PIB of the bouquets.
  • Options
    karenwjackmkarenwjackm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amoro,
    Do all Horrocks do Bridal parties?  I always love their flowers but never thought of them as a florist per se.  Seems they would be reasonably priced.  Did you find this to be so? Thanks.
    As my fiance is fond of saying, "Just Relax....."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if ALL of them do, but the one in Battle Creek does, and I went through the one in Kentwood.  Their prices were pretty good, I think.  For what i listed above, it was under $175.  The flowers were white roses, purple lisianthus and hypericum berry.  All the bouquets were ribbon wrapped as well.
  • Options
    n5cuttingn5cutting member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend Rykes.  They are amazing and I had so much fun making my cake with renee but i would try and contact them quickly because their weekends are filling up.  She is also very accomidating for out of town planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards