Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Hall/venue--HELP PLEASE

Hello,

I am looking for a place to rent (hall/venue)...empty hall or something for a party.  I've looked for a lot of venues and they're so expensive and too much rules.  I would rather have an empty place (with basic things..i.e. chairs, tables, etc) and I do everything else.  Does anyone know of place in grand rapids, kentwood, wyoming , grandville, etc?

thanks!

Re: Hall/venue--HELP PLEASE

• Options
    I'm confused...if you want it to have the table and chairs (and whatever "etc" is), what are you looking for it to NOT have?

And how far are you willing to travel?
  • Options
    sorry for the confusion.

I want a simply, big hall that I can rent for  less and I would get the rest as in food, decorations, dj. most of the venues don't allow outside catering, food through them is too expensive, they either don't have dj or have one, but if you want outside dj it will cost more.  

so, what i am saying is i just need a place that i can rent for less and i would take care of everything that i would need/want without having to go with what the venue has.  does that make sense?
  • Options
    Gotcha.

When we were looking for a venue, it was our experience that most of the ones in that area do have their own catering service that you have to use.  If you're willing to go down to Plainwell, the Eesley Place Mill has their own caterer, but they allow you to bring in an outside caterer should you choose to do that.  We're having our reception there, but we're using Adeline Leigh catering out of Grand Rapids.

I'll review some of my notes later about the other places we visited to see if there were any others on our list we could bring another caterer in on.
  • Options
    The only place that I can think of off the top of my head is the VFW halls. They are really dirty cheap, like $400. But they dont do much at all which sounds like what you want. I think they only option they gave us was to use their bartender, or not. The draw back is that they are not the prettiest spaces, although I have been to a few events over the years and they can be "dress up" nicely.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    do you know a phone number or website for them?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    If you are willing to go to the Holland area, the Holland Fish & Game Club is where I have booked my ceremony and reception.  They allow you to bring in your own caterer, DJ, decorations, even alcohol and bartenders.  I've been very happy dealing with them so far. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The website for the VFW is vfw.org. Then near the top you can click find a post.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You should check out The Golf Club at Thornapple Pointe. We are having our ceremony there, it is cheap and super nice!!
    Happily married since 8.25.2012
  • Options
    You should check out The Golf Club at Thornapple Pointe. We are having our ceremony there, it is cheap and super nice!!
    Happily married since 8.25.2012
  • Options
    if you like rustic, i had a friend get married at the hitching post last summer.  it's a totally cute HUGE barn and from what i understood, it wasn't very expensive and you got it all weekend so you can decorate early.   http://www.hitchingpostevents.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know of a few people that have used the Rockford American Legion and were able to bring in all of their vendors.  You could also check some of the other local American Legions as well.
  • Options
    Both of my twin cousins used the Rockford American Legion and I didn't get to go but the pictures and my family tell me it was really nice. I think you need to have a member book it though- my dad is a member. We are having our ceremony at Central Park in Grand Haven and the reception at the GH Community Center- we can bring in our own caterer and bartenders as long as they're licensed.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We did our engagement photos out at the Holland Fish & Game Club.  There aren't many flowers, but if your photographer is familiar with it, there are LOTS of good places for pretty pictures with lush green backgrounds, ponds, etc.
  • Options
    look at johnson park, they have a building tht is gorgeous and a rustic feel plus you can do whatever you want with it
  • Options
    thetrumegzthetrumegz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    its not cheap but the Rockford Sportsmans Cub is really big and has nice chairs and tables. i think we paid 1050 with depost for a saturday (250 being refunded after we clean up)
    They were very laid back with their rules. you can use your own caterer or bring your food in.
  • Options
    We used the Rockford American Legion Hall is was fantastic. A beautiful place and a great staff that is flexible and easy to work with!

Good luck!
    09.27.2007 (the start of a great adventure.) 12.24.2010 (the day he popped the question!) 07.22.11 (the day we added a fur baby: PAWS!) 01.21.2012 (the day we said "I Do.") 07.2012 (the day we decided to start our family!) 11.03.12 (the day we added another furbaby: WEASLEY) "So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." ~The Notebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards