Michigan-Grand Rapids

Places to stay,,,and things to do

My fiance and I are planning to go to Traverse City and Mackinaw Island for our honeymoon, but finding cute places to stay is a hard thing. Most bed and breakfasts around the area have cheesy linens.(things that would be in my grandmothers house.) Hotels that are inexpensive would be helpful too :) And any interesting ideas of what do do while we are up there... The wedding is  October 8th, so most things like swimming and other water activities are out of the question lol. Oh, and we don't drink, so wineries are out of the question. :)

Thanks!

Re: Places to stay,,,and things to do

• jleigh1902jleigh1902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a bed & breakfast but I don't think you should let the linens scare you away! =) I love Mackinak Island! You can take guided carriage tours around the island. The last time FI and I went, we rented a tandem bike (a great lesson in teamwork and patience...lol) and rode the whole perimeter of the island. It was beautiful and I saw parts of the island I have never seen before. There are some historical points like Fort Mackinak and the Grand Hotel. I think for the most part people just walk the main street and shop! Have fun!
  • akhensley81akhensley81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Bed & Breakfasts on the island are actually really cute. You're right, most of them are decorated "old school" - but there's a real comforting feeling to it. Anywhere on the Island would be great - I have some friends who just went up to the island for a few days after their wedding, and they had a blast!

I believe there are some chain hotels in Mackinaw City, Best Western, Holiday Inn, etc. The island is an easy ferry ride from there. Definitely check the prices to compare, if you're worried about spending too much.

If you guys want to splurge on yourselves a bit, the Grand hotel on the Island is expensive - but so so so sooooo cool. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome! Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to not let them bother me. I guess its something about the bedding matching the walls that erks me... Haha.
  • edited December 2011
    DH vacationed at Mackinac Island a couple years ago and stayed at the Inn on Mackinac. It was a great place to stay and was exteremly reasonable for staying on the island. We did things like go to the Fort, have lunch at the Grand, carriage tour, and rented bikes (overnight is cheapest) to explore the island.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards