Michigan-Grand Rapids

Distance

My fiance and I are trying to pick our venue, however, we are having trouble with our venue. We will both be living in Grand Rapids, which is the ideal place where we would like to have our wedding, but our family is from the east side of the state (Flint and Detroit area). Is it asking too much to have our wedding in the Grand Rapids/Grand Haven area, which will be a drive (3 hours max) for most of our guests? 

Thanks for your input :)

Re: Distance

• edited December 2011
    as long as everything ceremony, reception etc are close to each other.  my friend grew up in detroit, her FI grew up in Hastings area.  they are getting married in Petoskey - they opted to have everyone travel.

FI and i live in GR and are getting married back in detroit because I didn't want to make my family travel and his is from all over the US.

if you think your family and loved ones can make the trip then I say go for it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic 195image 155image 40image
  • nikkilainnikkilain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't feel bad. It's your day and having your wedding closest to where you live is the least stressful way and you definately don't want stress.

My Fiance's family is coming from Arizona, Pennsylvania, and the Upper Penisula, and my family is coming from Texas. We are still doing our wedding and reception where we live which is Grand Rapids.

People expect to travel for weddings and you can't make everyone happy especially if they all live in different places.
  • edited December 2011
    No, not at all~its much less than a day trip, only a few hours :)  We make spontaneous trips to Detroit for shopping all of the time!
  • jleigh1902jleigh1902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing the same thing. FI and I live in Lowell and our family is from the Detroit area and Adrian area. A lot of my friends have the same situation. If people can make it they will!
  • Lorielle22Lorielle22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered The Grand Volute Ballrooms in Lowell?  That way you "meet in the middle", so to speak. And It is a beautiful venue.  You can have both the ceremony and the reception (either indoor or outdoor) in the same place.  We looked into this venue but  decided to stay in GR since we had guests coming from both lansing and muskegon and felt that GR was our "meet in the middle" point.
    Mother-of-the-Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards