Michigan-Grand Rapids

Reception Venues... Recommendations?!?

I would very much appreciate some feedback from my fellow Grand Rapids brides.  Where are you having your reception and why did you pick the place?  If you went to see other places besides the one you picked - which ones were in the running and which ones made you want to run in the opposite direction?  I want some opinions of people who have actually seen places because as we all know, all of the pictures online are beautiful... only once you schedule an appointment, drive there, and meet with someone do you realize it's not as nice as it seemed!  Please help!  Any advice will be much appreciated!  Thanks, ladies!

Re: Reception Venues... Recommendations?!?

• edited December 2011
    i started with towns i was interested in. I collected about 10-15 different places, then narrowed them down by price. We knew we wanted something unique, so that narrowed it down evern more (and so you know, we were looking in the middle of winter, so i really wanted to narrow it down before i hit the road). We choose Bowens Mills, which you can get to through my bio. I love the place!! Its not that far outside of GR, and it is truly an experience!
  • h1lloydh1lloyd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiancee and I are getting married at the Van Andel Public Museum downtown, the one with the carousel. We were between that and the Frederik Meijer Gardens. The prices were comparable and they both offered something unique and beautiful. They also allowed similar amounts of guests.
    One of the first reasons we chose the museum is because they had a date in August available and the Gardens first opening was in October. We really wanted to get married in the summer. We also thought about the convenience of the Museum - it's close to our church, we plan on going out downtown after the reception, and we live downtown so it made sense. We were also just more impressed with the Museum after we toured both facilities.
    Good luck! Hope that helps a little!
  • melissa826melissa826 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were looking on the West side of Grand Rapids.  We really liked Terra Verde Golf Course, but it was too small for the number of people we are having for our reception.  We chose to go with Holland Fish and Game Club.  The building is a nice size, and there is a beautiful pond and gazebo for nice pictures!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards