Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Alterations- Grrrrr

In June, I took my wedding dress to a lady in Hudsonville to alter my dress. A few weeks ago, I called her and she said it would be ready the first week of August. So I called her again today and she said it would be ready the first weekend of September. My wedding is September 18!!!!! She says she still working on August wedding dresses. Am I crazy or does that not seem like enough time, in case something goes wrong, or if it needs to be dry cleaned again? What should I do? Just pray it all works out or go somewhere else?

Re: Alterations- Grrrrr

• Options
    valeriemay85valeriemay85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go somewhere else for my own peace of mind. I would think that's cutting it close but I always seem to think the worst and maybe that's not the best way of thinking but I can't help it especially when it comes to one of the most important days in your life. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You defintely should go somewhere else!  Because what if you need a second alteration?  And if your current lady is a month out you won't have time for a second fitting.  I am using Ha Alterations on Lake Michigan Dr in Standale.  I bought my dress at Beckers Bridal in Fowler and they said this person does really good work for someone in the Grand Rapids area.  I called them and they said it usually takes a week to get your dress back.  I also heard Su Alterations in the mall does a good job based on friends opinion.  Another friend got her dress altered at European tailors on Plainfield, I don't think they did the greatest job. 
  • Options
    shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm....that's tricky.  I was working with my alterations person on the finishing touches on my dress up until 4 days before my wedding (seriously).  However, I was in constant contact with her, and I knew she was making it fit perfectly, since I had lost a few pounds the week before the wedding. 

So, with that being said, it should be enough time if she has it done the first weekend in September, IF she puts your dress as first priority should any other alterations need to be done after that fitting.  That would give her a couple more weeks to tweak anything....  I would maybe call her and ask her if there were any last minute things that need to be tweaked when you tried it on that weekend in September, if she would be able to have them done in time for the wedding?  That might make you feel more comfortable with the timeline...
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Options
    melissa826melissa826 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a similar experience with bridesmaid dresses for my friend's wedding.  We didn't get them back from the lady doing the alterations until Thursday and the wedding was on Saturday.  However, we did get them back and they fit perfectly!

If you were to decide to go somewhere else, I highly recommend Anything Sews in Allendale.   The lady there does a great job and she'll have it done in plenty of time for your big day!  I hope it all works out perfectly for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to a lady in Hudsonville (I'm in two June weddings) as well, could you please tell me her name? Maybe we'll have to give the wedding date a full month before the actual wedding, yikes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards