March 2012 Weddings

Cake questions!

What kind of cake are you getting for your wedding - fondant or buttercream?  What kind of flavors are you choosing?  Also, if you have any pics of your cake inspiration, please post them because I would love to see!

We're getting married in FL and unfortuately will not get to do any cake tastings until the week of the wedding.  We have to make some decisions about our cake soon so I was wondering what you're all doing for cake!

We're leaning towards doing buttercream because I hear that it tastes better.  Our flavors that we picked for now are vanilla rum, marble, and amaretto.  As for inspiration pics, I really like the look of the cake below.. hopefully its not too plain.  The flowers will be in our wedding colors (turquoise, peach, and cream).

Re: Cake questions!

• Our cake will be butter cream.  I don't like fondant and paying for the extra charge of fondant just doesn't make sense when most people peel that layer off.  Our flavors are going to white, chocolate and strawberry. 

Gorgeous cake
  • We are doing cupcakes! We chose 1)yellow cake/chocolate frosting, 2)chocolate cake/Irish cream frosting, and 3)??? cake/coconut frosting (cant remember what kind of cake that last one was going to be)
    Our tasting is actually going to be on Tuesday!

I would say no to fondant. Yeah it looks cleaner and all but it tastes so waxy!
    Cupcake Original since 2007 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • our cake will be buttercream but have a fondant ribbon.  we're doing vanilla cake with a raspberry filing and chocolate cake with a chocolate mouse filing.
    our baker is going to use food coloring to make our cake a very pale pink, then the dots and swirls piping will be ivory.  our florist is making a topper of various ivory flowers that we're using in bouquets and centerpieces.  its pretty traditional, but with a twist!
    I agree with PPs comments about fondant, its not tasty!
  • We're doing fondant, but we had a couple flavor options to choose from. We have a marshmallow tasting fondant, which we thought was pretty good. We have a 4 tier cake. Two layers are white with a raspberry cream filling and the other two layers are red velvet with an almond cream cheese filling. Both are absolutely delicious! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LOVE our cake! The flavors and design. We're having a 4 tiered octagon cake with some sheet cakes. Buttercream only.

Flavors: Pink Champagne with a strawberry filling, banana with a vanilla buttercream, and Yellow cake with raspberry filling!

I love them all so much I plan on demanding a piece of each for myself.
     Here was my main inspiration pic:

A design similiar to this will also be found on the cake

Colors: White silver accents and some dark purple flowers.
  • We are doing a cake on the SH table with buttercream, white cake.

Everyone will get cupcakes on their tables.  different flavors. I have my cake meeting at the end of the month!
    Photobucket

Anniversary
    213image enjoyed some southern charm
    163imagedrank out of mason jars
    50image stayed up the north
  • our tasting in jan 28 so i am still not sure but here are some ideas...we like the modern/sleek look but i do love whits that she posted (the white one)

this is  our cake topper

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing a 3 tier sqaure vanilla cake covered in fondant with gum paste flowers. The fondant will be marshmallow fondat, which is delicious! I actually do cakes and use marshmallow fondant all of the time. I get a lot of compliments on how good the fondant tastes. I guess I'm just saying, don't automatically count out fondant :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have no clue what flavor it will be yet.  We have our cake testing tomorrow.. :) She said we can have all layers different flavors if we want.  I'll let yall know what kind tomorrow...
    I am having buttercream though.. The cake will look like this.  She made this cake But it will be Hot pink, black and white instead of these colors.  It will not have flowers on the top of it either.

image March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fondant was more than we wanted to pay so we're going with buttercream icing. It will be 3 layers and an oval shape. One layer will be cinnamon with chocolate ganache filling, one layer will be vanilla with lemon filling and the final layer will be cinnamon with cream chese filling. I'd never had a cinnamon cake before but it was amazing!!

As far as design goes, it will be an extremely light lavender with those little candy pearls on it. Most will be white but there will be some differnet shades of purple, also. This is the closest thing I could find (though we're not doing flowers on top):

March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    We are doing cupcakes - devils food & white almond- dipped in purple & green & iced with a fleur de lis. Then we will have a top tier for us that is also white almond with an amaretto filling.
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • We are doing 4 round layers with buttercream. My mon does cakes and is making ours (she did her own!). I think we are having a layer of french vanilla, a layer of dark chocolate and a layer of strawberry (FI's request). It will be ivory with ivory piping,  sage green ribbon and possibly silk flowers between tiers. FI wants 2 tiers, I want all 4 layers stacked together like the picture. Our topper is a crystal heart shaped frame.
  • edited January 2012
    We are doing buttercream frosting for sure and it is red velvet with cream cheese filling...

Here's my inspiration pics. Except our cake will be stacked instead of space between the tiers.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

121image Invited to Fabulous Las Vegas!
    53 image Are all in!
    68 image Are celebrating from afar
    0 image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 2/1
  • We're doing a three tier fondant cake.  The first and third tier wil be round and have a peralized fondant ribbon that resembles my dresses sash.  The second layer will be square and will tie in our invites.  All three layers will be tiramisu and we'll have a dozen vanilla and lemon curd cupcakes for the kids.  (The liqour isn't cooked off in the tiramisu, so we didn't want to inadvertantly get the kiddos drunk.)

I'm generally not a big fondant fan, but our baker makes really good fondant, and if people don't like it, there is a full layer of butercream frosting below, so they won't be missing out.  Our design just wasn't possible with buttercream alone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
    168image Are Invited to celebrate with the Newlyweds!
    79image Will be joining the celebration
    67image Can't make it
    22image Are Procrastinating

RSVP Date 2/9
  • Our cake will be buttercream.  Its a white cake with raspberry and french cream filling.  It will look like this, except the ribbons will be purple and it will have 4 tiers.  Also, our baker does gorgeous sugar flowers, so I'm really looking forward to seeing his interpretation of the flowers!

• We are not doing fondant. My Mom is actually doing ours so it will be her homemade icing on the part we cut. But since everything else is going to be cupcakes I believe she is going to do a buttercream icing on those.
    imageAnniversary
  • Butter cream 

The roses will be like this...

The cake itself will look like this...

But with space between both layers and less space between the top and middle.

P.S. Cake place suggestion - I don't know where in FL you are getting married but the local grocery chain here Publix makes amazing cakes.  That is who we are using.
  • My cake will look like this except with gumpaste pink orchids for the flowers.  2 tiers are passionfruit and 2 tiers are guava.  It will be covered in buttercream.  However, the entire cake is vegan!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our cake is a 4 tiered square cake with white buttercream icing.  The 2 flavors are raspberry pound with raspberry jam filling and butter pound cake with butterfinger filling!  It is so delicious!

My design is a penciled sketch so I don't have a copy but it will be monogramed for the top tier, and the ribbon trim is kelly green.  The other layers will also have the kelly green ribbon and gold celtic knots, which will be hand decorated, on each side.  I hope it looks as good as the sketch!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    I love all of your cakes, but especially elidellio's and amberr's!

Our cake is going to look a lot like this one, except with our colors (cornflower and navy) and carnations on top instead of roses. 

ETA: The 2nd layer and the bottom layer will be white almond with white almond infused filling. The top and 3rd layers will be red velvet with creamcheese filling. Yum!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards