March 2012 Weddings

Bar

My fiance and I are debating on whether to have an open or cash bar. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I was thinking about giving out tickets for free drinks and then having people buy their drinks after that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bar

• To be honest, where I live, cash bars are considered rude. I personally, would invite less people, to be able to offer my guest an open bar. Even if it is just beer and wine. If I were invited to a wedding that had a cash bar, I would start taking money out of the gift to pay for my drinks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • I agree with PP... a cash bar is rude.  
    We're serving beer and wine, but our guests will have the option of purchasing a cocktail if they really want it.
  • I agree with PP, where I live a cash bar is considered rude.  Please please do not use a ticketing system, it's tacky... I'm sorry.  Serve your guests what you can afford, even if it's beer, wine and soda.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we are having open beer and wine its 23/person/ hour and we are hosting 2 hours with a "4" hour reception
    image 279 Invited!
    image 137 Are ready to celebrate!
    image 93 Cannot make it!
    image 40 Have not responded! aka: officially uninvited! ;)
    RSVP date 2/17

March 2012 Brides

**SIGGY (March 2012 board) January CHALLENGE

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You don't marry the person you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without"-Anonymous

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • honestly, do what you want.

I would set a dollar amount and keep to it. So, like if you want $2000 on a bar. You put that down and anything else, people have to buy themselves.

Also, if you keep it with vodka, gin, rum, the main liquors, you can also get more drinks for your money.

Once you've hit that amount, people have to pay for their own drinks.

Also realize that your town, Omaha, may have different standards from other cities. I've been to weddings in Omaha where they offered an open bar for a certain amount and then after that, if people wanted to drink, they'd have to pay. I've also been where they just offer a signature drink and beer and wine. Then I've been to another where it's open bar completely.

I'm not paying people to get drunk at my reception....you're there to celebrate my new life, not too get drunk. If you want to drink more than I put down on a bar, well then that's on you, not me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    **Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**
  • Another way to save money would be to just have wine and beer then offer a signature cocktail.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Please do not have a cash bar.  I would leave after dinner.  I do not bring cash with me to a wedding, so I would be completely unprepared for a cash bar.

And go not use tickets for drinks.  It is very tacky.
  • I'm planning on doing an open bar for a cocktail hour, then free tap beer and wine for the rest of the night. I'm also planning on having an open bar for all members of the bridal party and parents (since they're footing some of the bar bill).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know a cash bar is "rude" but I'd rather be at a wedding with a cash bar than no bar at all!

If you can only afford beer and wine, allow the venue to serve liquor as a cash bar.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:5ca62259-b6c4-405e-a203-8e159edf9887Post:780d99cb-e30c-460d-acde-26df48ccbf34">Re: Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on doing an open bar for a cocktail hour, then free tap beer and wine for the rest of the night. <strong>I'm also planning on having an open bar for all members of the bridal party and parents (since they're footing some of the bar bill).
    </strong>Posted by JenniferP2012[/QUOTE]

OP, do not think this is good advice. This is more rude than a cash bar. You should not be treating any of your guests differently even if they are your BP & parents. Do what you can afford but do not give one guest more than you give another.

Think about your reception like a large dinner party at your house. You would not ask your dinner party guests to pay for drinks, or to pay for them after a certain amount of hours, or only offer some of your guests a drink and not others. You could how ever say, "we have beer or wine." 

And for the person who said they are not paying for their guests to get drunk. That is the wrong attitude. You are paying to HOST your guests. They are bringing you gifts after all. And once again if your reception were a dinner party at your home you would never tell your guest you can only have one drink or i will only serve you a drink until a certain hour, I am not paying for you to get drunk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Okay I dont like the ticket idea but i am not opposed to a cash bar! I personally found great rates for a 5 hr open bar but i have been to weddings with an open bar and It was fine to me! Paying for alcohol can be upwards of 3000 and not everyone has money to do that!  So if you can't have an open bar maybe u can do a hosted bar but for ppl like me who like to drink socially I would much rather buy a drink than have no bar offered to me at all! Ive heard ppl say they hated a wedding with just wine and beer, and if someone would leave ur reception becuz of lack of  alcohol selection to hell with them.... This is about u guys! Pay for what u can afford and what makes u 2 happy!  Bucuz at the end of the day trying to follow every rule and make everyone happy will make u crazy! HTH
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:5ca62259-b6c4-405e-a203-8e159edf9887Post:780d99cb-e30c-460d-acde-26df48ccbf34">Re: Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on doing an open bar for a cocktail hour, then free tap beer and wine for the rest of the night. <strong>I'm also planning on having an open bar for all members of the bridal party and parents (since they're footing some of the bar bill).</strong>
    Posted by JenniferP2012[/QUOTE]

This sounds a lot like a tiered reception, which is a big wedding no no. If you want to do something special for your parents and wedding party so it in private.  All guests should be treated equally at a wedding.  If you do this be prepared for someone to notice and say something.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In order to save money, we're having an open bar with wine, beer, and one signature cocktail only. Also, our venue allows us to provide our own alcohol, which saves even more money! We're buying the beer at Sam's Club and all the wine at Trader Joe's. Since we're providing all the alcohol, guests won't have the option to pay for mixed drinks or cocktails (since all that will be behind the bar is wine and beer and peach schnapps for the signature cocktail), but we're not the only ones doing this - we're going to two weddings this summer that are doing the same thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards