March 2012 Weddings

Bridal Shower guest list question

So about half of our guest list lives in another state and obviously will not be flying down for a bridal shower.  Do I still send them invites to the shower? I don't want anyone to feel left out but I also don't want to seem gift grabby.    My FI's step bro got married recently - they live in MA - I got an invite to their shower even though they knew I would not be able to make it. 

What are your personal experiences and opinions?

Re: Bridal Shower guest list question

• I personally am not sending invites to anyone who I know would not be able to make it. I think it really just comes down to what your family/friends are like and how they would take it.

It sounds like you should at least invite your FSIL since she invited you. 
    March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My mom sent invites to everyone- even those out of country because she didn't want it getting back to her later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am sending invitations to people that live out of state. I am doing mainly because some two of them are FI Mom and Sister. The others are my aunt in AL and my cousin in FL. I know that they most likely won't come but I want to know I am including them, pluse I went to all of my cousin's stuff that was held here in KY so its only right for me to invite her.
    imageAnniversary
  • Well part of the problem is it is his family who is out of town, and I don't really know what the norm is with them and how they would take it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_bridal-shower-guest-list-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:67ce42a5-8239-4eaf-8452-9118ae1dc6e6Post:4339ec73-1752-465e-8bc1-76c5dbdd28e4">Re: Bridal Shower guest list question</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Well part of the problem is it is his family who is out of town, and I don't really know what the norm is with them and how they would take it. </strong>
    Posted by mary1217[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If you don't know, I would err on the side of caution and invite them. There's really no reason not to and you may get extra gifts!</div><div>

</div>
    March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you should invite them. I have lived away from my hometown for 20 years. Occasionally my mom will ask me if I want to go in on a shower gift for a shower I didn't even know was happening. On occasion, I could have gone to the shower if I had had any kind of notice. 

So if all it costs is the invite and a stamp, I'd send it. I wouldn't worry about feeling gift grabby!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Thanks ladies!
  • I think you should invite them.   They can choose to come or not come or send a gift or not.  I don't think it looks gift grabby at all.  I think if you don't invite them - some people may take it the wrong way. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree, I think you should invite them. It's better to do it and make them feel included then to offend some people by making them think they weren't invited. And hey - - you just might get extra gifts. Woo! lol
  • I'm SO glad you posted this question. I was seriously thinking about this on my drive to work today. My MOH wanted all of the wedding addresses. I thought it was strange and she said we should invite all the women that are invited to the wedding. I didn't think much about it. So, I believe they're sending one to just about every guest. I thought it was weird, but by the looks of it, you all would agree that it's a good idea. I'm sure some many come, especially the OOTs, but I guess it's the thought that counts. On top of the OOTs, I felt like it would be weird inviting someone like JP's aunt I've met once and probably can't even remember her name. Yet, they're sending them to all his family. I believe the only women that won't be getting one are those that are JP's coworkers that I don't really know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards