March 2012 Weddings
Options

A little perspective...

Let me start this with a little bit of a disclaimer: I am thoroughly excited about my wedding and I think every girl on here deserves for her dreams to come true that day. I have NOTHING against weddings or the planning process and love how we get to talk to each other and share our joys/fears/questions etc.

However,

I have an old friend going through cancer treatment and today, in his and his wife's blog, it was announced that he will most likely not survive. They stated that the treatments have not been working well for his aggressive cancer. The couple is heading to Tucson to try a few last things but his chances are slim. He was diagnosed 3 months ago.

Let me tell you, this was a kick in the head. I lost my breath. I mean he is 29, has 2 kids (5 and not even 1) and he is most likely going to die. I know we can say all we want life isn't fair...but wow does this sure give you a clear picture of that. It just made me realize that even though, on the daily, I am looking up wedding stuff and what colors and designs and all of that good stuff that this is not what life is about. I called my FI and my mom and just told them how much I love them...how much I appreciate the love they have for me and vice versa.

I am honestly not trying to be a downer (can't you tell??) but I just wanted to remind people of how precious life is and someone can be sick one day and not here the next. Hug your FI a little closer tonight and call your loved ones and let them know what they mean to you! If any of you pray if you have an extra one in there throw it up for him, he has an incredible faith (as does his wife) and is really leaning on our Father for all the help he can get.

To make this a little happier...what are YOU thankful for? (I know thanksgiving is over but its always good to remind ourselves)

Hope you are having a great day ladies, I truly do appreciate all the advice you girlies give me!!!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: A little perspective...

• Options
    Wow, I am so sorry about your friend. Do you mind me asking what type of cancer he has?

I can sympathize, but thankfully I can not even begin to understand what it's like to go through something so incredibly tragic. I really pinch myself once and awhile to take a step back from all of the silliness of wedding colors, and aisle runners to just appreciate LIFE and everyone I love.

I am sooooo thankful for my health, my FI's health, my family's health, etc. Health is the MOST important key to happiness I believe. I actually have anxiety about my health and have told by a doctor I need to seek professional help with it...but I honestly think I just fully realize how importnant health is, and that's why I worry about getting taken away so much.

I am thankful for my FI. He is so incredibly kind and gentle with me. He's just so loving, and I know there are a lot of people who don't have this kind of partner. I don't take him for granted.

I made a post awhile back with a link to a blog a woman was writing since her husband died and left her with two young children. It was so heartbreaking, but it was a reality check. We need to make sure we don't lose track of the love and happiness that these weddings are all about.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    ? BFP #1 "SPECK" - 11/7/2012 ? M/C - 12/8/2012 @ 7W6D ?
    ? BFP #2 "SPAWNER" - 3/2/2013 ? EDD: 11/13/13 ?
    BFP CHART
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!! I've been very,  very fortunate to not have anyone super close to me pass away other than great grandparents and acquaintances from high school. However, I'm sure you all remember my posts about JP's cousin, B.

When he went into the hospital it hit us like a ton of bricks. One minute he seemed as healthy as can be and the next his heart was barely functioning. (Side note, B is doing well. He's still at home. He's working from home a bit, but hasn't done much in terms of being active. He still has to remain low key and eat on a ridiculously limited diet. His heart still isn't where it should be. They're now discussing some sort of cell treatment - forgive me, I cannot recall the name. A heart transplant is still very much an option and if the treatment doesn't work, the heart transplant will happen within the next 6 months or so. Anyway, it was really, really hard. It's so crazy how things can change in an instant. Like that blog you shared, Kerry, I had some serious anxiety for like a week afterwards. I kept having nightmares about my mom (although strangely not JP) passing away right before the wedding. I woke up crying several times. The two of them, my mom and JP, are truly the most important people in my life. I don't think I'd be able to survive without them.

JP's best man and best friend since childhood had a cancer scare two and a half years ago. He started getting these ridiculous migraines. After about a week, he went in to see the doctor and was rushed to the hospital. Turns out it was a tumor. They obviously had surgery and were able to retrieve the whole thing (the size of a golf ball), which later turned out to be benign. He's alive and well today, you would have never guessed he spent almost a month in the hospital and to think we thought his days were limited. Other than the scar hidden beneath his hair and his yearly MRI appointments, you'd never know.

That being said, life is short and we cannot take things for granted. As excited as I am about our wedding and how much time it consumes on a daily basis, I do try to remind myself to sit back and think about all of the things I have to be thankful for. I am so, so thankful for all of my many blessings. JP is the most compassionate and loving person I've ever met and I feel so lucky to call him mine. I have an amazing family and soon to be incredible in-laws. My friends are the best and I truly don't know what I'd do without them. We have jobs that we love and we're passionate about. We have the sweetest and most cuddly fur babies, a roof over our heads, and true love and happiness that's never ending. I can't imagine any of these things being taken away from me and I truly do thank God everyday for my many, many blessings.

Thanks for reminding me to once again, be thankful and show my love and appreciation for those I hold near and dear. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    So sorry about your friend!  Are they headed to the Mayo??  I hope they can find something that helps him.  So sad.

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

• Options
    Im sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep him in my prayers..  I hope everythign turns out okay. Its so sad to hear about this.

My cousin was diagnosed with a brain tumor last  year. He just turned 15.  The tumor was the size of a golf ball.  They tried to remove as much as they could.  He has been through 4 surgerys since then.  He has also been to st jude doing treatment. The radiation didnt work and the tumor keeps growing back.  He isnt doing well and the doctors say they are shocked he is still here.  Im just so worried about him..  Keep him in your prayers also.
    image March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards