March 2012 Weddings
Options

Drinking at wedding festivities...

Okay so we went out last night for NYE and let me tell you, I got SUPER sick last night and VERY hungover all day today. Like could not get out of bed until 3pm and then it was still rough. I am finally just now starting to feel like myself.

I am so baffled though because we went out to dinner at 7:30 and I only had 2 margaritas. Then 10:30-1:00 we went to a party downtown with open bar. During the whole 2.5 hours I only had 4 vodka/sprites (which came in a teeny tiny cup of course because of open bar for so many people). I wasn't beligerant by any means and was still able to walk great and tackle stairs in my heels. But when I got home, I started getting dizzy and you know the rest.

Today I paid for it so hard and I just kept thinking how absolutely awful it would be to feel like this during ANY wedding festivities. You know we plan so hard and spend so much money, it would be horrible to not be able to enjoy it to the fullest! I will be in Vegas so I know everyone will be drinking hard, and I have Bach/Bachelorette party Thursday night, 2 hour open bar Rehearsal dinner Friday night, and 5 hour open bar wedding reception Saturday night.

So have you guys set up a game plan for drinking for your festivites? I can't believe I got so sick for so few drinks and it is making me so nervous now. I seriously am thinking about keeping a 3 drink maximum for all three nights just to be certain!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

121image Invited to Fabulous Las Vegas!
53 image Are all in!
68 image Are celebrating from afar
0 image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 2/1

Re: Drinking at wedding festivities...

• Options
    I am a total lightweight so I can relate, lol. I also get hungover very easily so I plan I keep it at 2 - 3 drinks for any wedding festivities. I am totally with you tha a lot if time and money has gone into this so I want to enjoy it all and not miss a moment!!
    March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I figure I'm not going to drink much at my wedding because 1) I want to remember it and 2) I don't want to spend my wedding night sick.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    w+c3w+c3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I haven't put a ton of thought into it but I'm not too worried about getting drunk. I am not a big drinker in the first place and if I want to get buzzed or drunk I really have to force myself to keep drinking. So I'm sure I'll have a few drinks at the wedding but the moment I feel like I am getting buzzed I'll hit the breaks.

However I'm unsure about the bach party. I am having it in February so I won't have wedding festivities afterwards. However I DESPISE hangovers. I've only ever had a few. And FI is not very nurturing when I do so I tend to avoid it because well it just sucks. Nausea kills my spirit.

However I can't wait to have screwdrivers the morning of the wedding to calm my nerves with my girls!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_drinking-wedding-festivities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:c8cf7f2f-ecb7-4ac4-90e2-3f6a7373f124Post:04b07e08-8434-4d8f-8e9b-e7f1bd7df640">Re: Drinking at wedding festivities...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I figure I'm not going to drink much at my wedding because 1) I want to remember it and 2) I don't want to spend my wedding night sick.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Same here!!!!

137image Invited to see us "Lucky in Love", at our wedding 3/9/12
    90 image Are ready to party
    47 image Are missing out
    0 image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 2/15 image
  • Options
    I'll only drink wine.  Wine doesn't make me sick, it's my favorite alcoholic beverage, and it's relative cheap.  :)  I cannot handle vodka... it makes me sooooo sick!

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

• Options

Neither me or my FI drink so we don't have to worry about it.  We aren't having alcohol at the wedding except for the wine his mom plans on bringing. 

• Options
    brittandjpbrittandjp member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Oh my gosh, I can totally relate Lisa! I use to drink a lot in college and even post college. When I say a lot, I mean like on the weekends when I was out with friends. Now, I'm way too old for this crap. I had a raging headache until like 4 today because of last night. I had 2 glasses of wine with dinner and maybe 3 drinks when we were out over a 5 hour time frame. I almost never get sick, but these headaches are killer! Also, the older I get, the more often I begin forgetting things that happen towards the end of the night. I don't really get it because I drink SO much less than I did 4 years ago, yet the end of the nights are often blurry.

That being said, I will drink at my wedding festivities, but I'll definitely be taking it easy. I'm SO worried about having headaches the next day and having the end of the night be blurry, that it terrifies me. I want to remember every second of every pre wedding party. I am a little nervous about my Bachelorette party in Vegas, but a few of my BM and my amazing MOH have already prewarned me that they won't let me drink a lot, so they totally understand are going to be on patrol! lol At the rehearsal dinner, my (very religious and officiant) grandparents will be there. I will probably only have a glass of wine, maybe 2. At the wedding, I'll only have a couple of drinks as well. I want to remember it all, I don't want to make a fool of myself, and I want my first morning as husband and wife to be amazing, not me stumbling around to find water bottles and Advil.

Since you've recognized your response to alcohol and are aware of what could happen, I think that will help you remain cautious of your alcohol intake. It will be okay. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    CarykayCarykay member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I use to drink a lot and I could handle almost ANYTHING.  Now that FI and I got together I don't party or drink as much.  I still drink every now and then.. I NEVER use to get sick.  Some nights I will and others I wont.  Its weird though when I drink hard liquor I don't get sick, But if I drink beer i will. 

I would just take it easy.. Maybe have a limit or drink occasional to see what effects you and what dont. 

DRINK a lot of water after you drink and take some advil that night before you go to bed. ALways seems to make me not have a hang over.
     ( I know it sounds like a myth but it works for me)
    image March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can totally relate to this topic!!  I have always loved drinking games (I'm too competitive) so usually that's when I drink too much.... with that said, there won't be any of those so I don't expect to drink more than a few drinks.  I also figure I'll be meeting with friends and family to say hi and thank you throughout the night, so I won't have that much time to drink.  I know some people in past wedding parties who have drank a lot at RDs because they were open bar and knew that the wedding was cash bar (again, I can relate.. I probably would have done the same thing hahaha) but they PAID for it the next day... and that just would not be any fun!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I already don't drink hard liquor because my body can't handle it.  But I know what you mean about New Years.  I only have 3 beers and well, um, 4 glasses of champagne that night and I definitely felt it all day yesterday.  I know I won't be drinking beer during wedding festivities since it makes me bloated but I might have a couple glasses of wine but tell my BMs to keep the water flowing!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I will be drinking but only wine or beer. Though I know me, and I won't drink a lot because I am always the one that is concerned about us getting home or wherever we are going.

I gave up vodka years ago because it made me feel exactly they way it did you the next day. And that for sure wasn't worth it to me.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options

Since my wedding is on St Patty's day I would love to drink at the reception! However, drinking makes me have to pee a lot.....and that's going to be difficult in my dress. So we'll see!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards