March 2012 Weddings

DIY Hangers

I'm feeling like I'm not giving my girls enough but want to keep as close to budget as possible.. so I'm considering giving these DIY hangers w/ wire lettering a shot.  I'm far from artistic but I'm a perfectionist so I'm hoping a little blood, sweat, and tears (and concentration.. and time..!!!) could go a long way for these. :)

For those of you who made the hangers... How much did each final product cost you in materials?  Would you mind providing me the breakdown? Also where did you buy everything?? Did you add anything extra (i.e. a flower, a bow, etc.?)  Please post pics if you have them!

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: DIY Hangers

• I have been working on my hangers.  I got 4 of them in a pack for about 5 dollars. The wire was 1.99 at Joanns.  I easily got 3 names out of the length it provided.  Make sure you get the 12 gauge wire. 

I also found it easiest to write out the name in script and follow along that as I bent the wire.  You'll need some sort of drill with a bit the size of the wire and some glue to secure the wire into the hole you drilled in the hanger.  I didn't add anything to mine.  It's just their names.   There are some good tutorials on youtube.  Good luck!
  • edited February 2012
    I wood burned mine..the woodburning kits was maybe $20..FI bought it for me...and I used Cedar Hangers, they were around $10 per 6 pack....GL!!!

March 2012 January Siggy Challenge:Favorite Engagement Pic Photobucket
    341image Invited to our dream wedding!!
    259image Are ready to party
    82image Are missing out
    0image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 3/10 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well I attempted it.  I got the wire, printed off a pretty script the size that I wanted the names... but actually doing it - was awful.  I couldn't get it to look good.  I mean it looked terrible.  I tried several times and I just thought it didn't look good....  But this is coming from someone who isn't very crafty ....  Maybe you'll have better luck. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Here's mine -

I got my hangers from walmart ( 5 of them) for about $4. I used 16 gauge wire instead of 12 cause it's a little thicker and bought 2 rolls. I also paid like $5 for pliers to help shape with. Did the same thing as PP and drilled holes in the sides & superglued them in. If you go to Joann, make sure you print coupons for good deals. Alot of them will take competitors coupons too. Here's a tutorial I used for help..

Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_diy-hangers-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:de1d8c4b-2eae-4553-af55-acc8e0fa1f0aPost:df798d31-a994-4570-91fe-b9f9b74b8d9d">Re: DIY Hangers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's mine - I got my hangers from walmart ( 5 of them) for about $4. I used 16 gauge wire instead of 12 cause it's a little thicker and bought 2 rolls. I also paid like $5 for pliers to help shape with. Did the same thing as PP and drilled holes in the sides & superglued them in. If you go to Joann, make sure you print coupons for good deals. Alot of them will take competitors coupons too. Here's a tutorial I used for help.. <a href="http://jarringimpact.blogspot.com/2011/05/diy-wire-wedding-hanger-tutorial.html" rel="nofollow">http://jarringimpact.blogspot.com/2011/05/diy-wire-wedding-hanger-tutorial.html</a> Good luck! :) 
    Posted by jml1981[/QUOTE]

Those are ADORABLE! :)
  • Oh snap....it was 16 gauge wire I used. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_diy-hangers-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:de1d8c4b-2eae-4553-af55-acc8e0fa1f0aPost:dab6830b-adf7-4d30-8e4d-28262e455be5">Re: DIY Hangers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DIY Hangers : Those are ADORABLE! :)
    Posted by rebeccaa12[/QUOTE]

Thank you! They were a bit of a pain, but I think worth it. :)
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • I didn't do the whole wire thing. I really wanted to, but it was just way too much work for me. I also didn't want to pay for them on etsy. So, I made my own. You can see the picture in my bio. I spent maybe $20 on all the supplies, which made 7 hangers. I didn't make one for myself, hoping someone would pick up the wire one for my shower...and one of my BM did. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Here are mine:

I also got the hangers at Walmart and they were four for $5. I also used 12 gague floral wire which I got at Michaels for about $3.50. I used two things of it but I did some practice, too, and had some left over.

I used the same tutorial as Jaime and I looked on Etsy at examples to see how to shape the letters. I had the best luck shaping the letters with my hands and just tightening up with pliers as necessary. I used a towel between the pliers and the wire, also, so I didn't get those little crimp marks on it.

I don't have a drill so to attach the wire I just used a screwdriver to make the hole and hot glued it.

Good luck!!!!
    March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone!!! All of your hangers came out sooo nice... I'm praying mine come out half as good!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards