March 2012 Weddings
Options

Bar Timing Question

So today I met with my caterer and paid the remaining balance. Woot! ;-) She said they do a last call at 9 (guests have to be out by 10), and pack up and leave by 9:30 (while guests are still there). There is the option to extend a half hour (they must by law stop serving drinks a half hour before the event ends). So I'm on the fence -- do you think I should extend to 9:30 or would a last call an hour before be sufficient? On the one hand, odds are the guests will nurse whatever they're drinking that last half hour, but on the other hand...at 9:30 they may be thirsty and I hate to think that for that last hour, NOTHING is available after the 9:00 last call. But the caterer said in a lot of their events, guests have thinned out by 9:30 so it's not a huge concern. How long before your event ends are you closing up the bar? I want to be sure our guests aren't left high and dry if they plan to stay till the end...but is it worth the expense since many may not stay until 10?  
"Love it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, It will set you free..."
~Mumford and Sons
Anniversary

Re: Bar Timing Question

• Options
    Would it be a huge price increase to keep them there, and keep it open? Depending on how much it costs, I would keep it open, and pay extra. If they do close the bar, would your guest be able to drink soda, water, coffee....? I really think that I would keep it open though if its not too much out of your budget.

137image Invited to see us "Lucky in Love", at our wedding 3/9/12
    90 image Are ready to party
    47 image Are missing out
    0 image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 2/15 image
  • Options
    Thats annoying. I would try to keep it open til 9:30 if possible.  The older people may leave early, but I don't see your friends, etc. leaving that early. 

• Options
    I wish I had something to add...but our bar closes at 12:30am, so I think I kind of dodged that whole issue.

I agree with a+b, though, I think that if they had non-alcoholic drinks open, that it would be sufficient. I know when I hear 'last call' I make my way to the bar :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_bar-timing-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:eadd3834-68aa-4536-b357-8b922e94add6Post:f17eaf3e-56a7-496d-afae-2b86f2b392c8">Re: Bar Timing Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I had something to add...but our bar closes at 12:30am, so I think I kind of dodged that whole issue. I agree with a+b, though, I think that if they had non-alcoholic drinks open, that it would be sufficient. <strong>I know when I hear 'last call' I make my way to the bar :)</strong>
    Posted by rebeccaa12[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. :-)</div><div>
    </div><div>I wasn't clear on whether non-alcoholic drinks would be available. If not, and it's not out of your budget, I'd keep it open till 9:30. I know I would at least want some water before I hit the road!</div>
  • Options
    Thanks -- that's what I was thinking, too. We're going to go ahead and extend to 9:30. :)
    ~Mumford and Sons
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i think i would of done the 930 to if the price difference isnt a huge difference :)
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not so huge that we can't afford it. :) It does stretch us to the last dime though. But I think it's worth it -- keeps our guests happy and saturated. ;-)
    ~Mumford and Sons
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards