March 2012 Weddings

Is anyone still out there? Tipping question!

OK, I know this has come up a ton but I always thought the 20% service charge we were paying our venue was the tip for the waitstaff so I sort of disregarded those discussions. I e-mailed our venue over the weekend to double-check, and they just dropped a bomb on me.... Here is the email I received:

"The 20% service charge is not an actual “tip” for the wait staff. The staff is paid with a hourly wage. There isn’t any additional tip that they receive at the end of the night. If you would like to leave additional gratuity you are more than welcome to. They would truly appreciate it. – Thank you "

This is a pretty nice venue so I'm assuming they are making higher than minimum wage, but how would I know?? Plus, I would also assume that guests will tip the bartenders, as I always have at other weddings... so do I have to worry about that?

If you were me and received the above email, how would you handle paying tips to the venue? I finally thought I had my budget in check, with tips ready to go, and now I'm not looking forward to the extra $$ for these extra tips........ :-\

Thank you!!
Anniversary

Re: Is anyone still out there? Tipping question!

• UGH!! That's terrible to receive this 5 days before the wedding...I'm sorry..for me, I would find out exactly how many waitstaff are provided, and then maybe just do a flat amount for each person....Our caterer included the gratuity, which was 20% of our overall bill....

March 2012 January Siggy Challenge:Favorite Engagement Pic Photobucket
    341image Invited to our dream wedding!!
    259image Are ready to party
    82image Are missing out
    0image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 3/10 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would ask them what exactly that 20% goes to then if not to the Servers considering it is a service charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards