Michigan-Lansing

Dollar Dance?

Is the dollar dance common for Lansing-area weddings? I had forgotten about it until I saw it was labeled tacky in another board. It's very common at weddings in the thumb area, where I'm originally from. I don't have strong feelings either way, but I am curious to know if people expect it here.
~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image

Re: Dollar Dance?

• edited December 2011
    I don't know if I'd say its popular but IMO its perfectly acceptable and fun! Maybe 4 of the 9 or 10 weddings I have been to in the last couple years have had one... I'm having one for sure!!! HTH!
  • npricelovenpricelove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a fight song competition instead of a dollar dance.  msu v uofm whichever bucket gets the most money gets their song played.
  • edited December 2011
    im not sure if its common around here or not, and i know were having one, my advice i guess would be if ya want it do it, and if not thats ok too, its your big day honey, do what makes you happy:)
  • eclipsethecateclipsethecat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did one. Im glad too because we had a lot of fun. I had never heard of them being "tacky" until I came on these boards. I say do what you want- it is your day. People that want to participate will.
  • TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a personal choice.  I guess I'd more or less ask yourself what the reason for having it is?  You will more than likely, have some people attend your wedding that could careless about it, some that like it, and some that personally don't like it. Either way, I don't think you will have anyone that's actually going to be mad at you for having it or is going to walk out of the wedding, they probably just won't participate in it.  That being said, people that don't like it will probably find it rather tacky, after all, they just brought a nice gift and many bought a shower gift as well. If the question is if it is normal, it's done but I don't think it's the normal.  If you want to do it for cultural reasons or if the majority of your guests are expecting it, just make some kind announcement about why you are doing it and have a ball!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards