Michigan-Lansing

Reception Site in Jackson

Hi.  I am looking for a reasonable reception site near Jackson MI.  I recently had to change churchs for the wedding and would like to change sites for the reception because it was at that church.  I would have to have a site that allows your own caterer as I have already booked one.  Thanks for any help you have to offer. 

Re: Reception Site in Jackson

• AngelaOct11AngelaOct11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at the Ella Sharp Museum in the Grand Community Room.  There are a few pictures on their website but if you would like more with it decorated for a wedding let me know.  We also needed a place where we could bring in our own caterer since my husband's family owns a catering place.  I also looked into the Commonwealth Center which has a reception room and Art 634. Oh and there is the fairgrounds event center.  You bring in your own caterer there too.  I found though there wasn't much of a selection. 
  • tbearsangeltbearsangel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Besides the caterer booking issue, there are a few golf courses that allow you to rent out a room.
    Gene Davis is a caterer with rooms to rent out, but I can't think of the whole name right now.
    Cascades Manor House does receptions, but I think you have to go with their caterer
    Jackson Community College rents out their Dining room
    Call the Jackson/Avalon hotel, (or other hotels)they may have a conference type room
    I know Ella Sharp also has a spot outside to rent, but I think you have to call the park people to get it, I don't know how expensive it is either..
    I guess my suggestions are not much help since you have a caterer already.. Sorry! Maybe ask your caterer for places they have been? 

I ended up booking a local golf course, but they prefer me to use thier catering/booze. A LOT of the places I called had that issue.  some of them were just plain too expensive- $1400 for a Saturday night rental for liek 6 hours was rediculous IMO!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kalirose58kalirose58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help.  I hate the situation I am in but worried that keeping the reception at the old church may cause problems.  I wish they would have told me everything up front as well.  I have one of the most popular dates for weddings and events too.  I believe Ella Sharp is booked along with Gene Davis and other popular locations.  I have seen some outragous prices as well. 

I would still love any ideas available!!!!! Thanks
  • wendyanddougwendyanddoug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not sure where you've checked, but here's a few that I didn't see mentioned:

American Legion on Lansing Ave
    JCMS
    St Joseph's
    Polish National Alliance on Page
    Polish Eagles  or Legion (not sure which it is, on Joy off of Page) 

They aren't as pretty as Ella Sharp or Cascades, but a good decorator could work some magic on them.

• akenbabyakenbaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that there's a Super 8 near Brooklyn which is pretty close to Jackson. I've heard that it has a pretty nice size banquet room.
  • wendyanddougwendyanddoug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Super 8... that's the one I couldn't remember. My husband's cousin had her reception there 2 1/2yrs ago & it was very nice. The room was really pretty.
  • alhelleralheller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having mine at the Commonwealth Commerce Center in downtown Jackson. It's only about $1,000 and you bring your own caterer. Holds up to 700 people. HTH!
  • edited December 2011

I'm from Jackson too, and I have a hall but am looking for a church, I just wondered where you were gonna have it and why you are changing... like what kind of problems did they give you? If you don't mind tell me :)

"There are three things that remain - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love." Corinthians 13:13 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kalirose58kalirose58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was a Catholic church.  They changed priest and he wasn't going to let my cousin play the piano (no piano allowed) and my bridesmaids and myself had to cover up.  Those where the things I asked before we agreed to get married there. 

I am not sure of any churches that allow you to get married there without attending but there are some nice ones.  I would even look into the church across from the Carnigie library downtown.  Its really pretty!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I actually just looked at that church yesterday lol. Thanks! I never even thought to ask about dress code or anything.
    "There are three things that remain - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love." Corinthians 13:13 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards