Michigan-Lansing
Options

Reception Location

I'm trying to find a nice place for my reception. we have around 200-250 guest. I'm not sure if I should go with a wedding package or be able to have outside stuff come in like food, alcohol.  I have looked at  a few places and looking at more. Any ideas?

Re: Reception Location

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you haven't looked at Eagle Eye/Hawk Hollow yet, I'd check them out.
    ~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
    9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have our reception at Royal Scot.  There is a huge room and even a patio for some fresh air (if you're getting married in the summer).  The room is very nice and resonably priced.  Not too many people think of them, so they'll probably not be booked.  We booked them two months before our wedding (other recption hall chose not to honor our contract) and they were very helpful in calming our nerves and helping sort everything out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to let you know that we did go to Royal Scot, we were very pleased with the room and rates. We tried to pay a deposit that day, about 13 months before our wedding date. The room manager told us they had to wait til a year out before they could take a deposit. He absolutely assured us the rooms were ours, took our names and promised so much. We went back to pay the deposit exactly a year before our wedding date and he told us someone came the day before wanting the same date we did and he took their money!!! We were devastated! After looking for another room and telling everyone what had happened, several different sources told us if there is another wedding with more guests, the Royal Scot will give your date away because more money will be made from food prepared (in-house catering) It was a really bad experience for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The kellogg Center and The MSU Union can both handle crowds of that size.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The ladies here have lots of ideas for reception venues. I'm going with House in the Woods Bed & Breakfast in DeWitt. We will have about 250 guests and while it will be very nice it certainly won't have that super fancy/formal feel that other venues will. It's more of a laid back/fun place.

As far as using a package or bringing in your own stuff I would say that depends on what your priorities are. I found that the packages can end up being a bit more expensive but if you use them you'll have a lot less to worry about before and on the day of your wedding. If you've got the extra cash and don't want to bother with it I'd get the package. We're supplying our own entire bar to save a few bucks, but we have to not only supply the liquor/beer/wine but also the pop, juices, mixers, lemons, limes, etc.

Good luck with your decisions!
  • Options
    sarcole530sarcole530 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with a previous post. Eagle Eye and Hawk Hollow have a lot of banquet rooms. I had my reception there, and my sister had her ceremony at the chapel and reception at Eagle Eye. It was beautiful. It was actually really nice to not have to worry about finding a caterer and bartender becuase they do it all right there for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to pp. We've having both our ceremony and reception at Hawk Hollow. Very nice place and the people have been wonderful to work with so far. They have rooms to accomodate a variety of different wedding sizes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Ramada Lansing Hotel and Conference Center.  The banquet manager, Shirley, is great to work with.  They have a very nice ballroom.  Looking forward to my September wedding reception there.

My sister's wedding and reception was at Eagle Eye last year and it was beautiful! 

Another option is  the new The Event Center in Okemos.  You rent it by the hour and use all of our own vendors.  Very nice facility but no "elegance" factor.

I, too, was disappointed with the manager at Royal Scot.  He would not provide a meal tasting and he liked serving buffets, so tried to discourage us from wanting a plated meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards