Michigan-Lansing

Possible outdoor wedding in October??!

So I just got engaged this last weekend and it is our hope that we will get married on October 6, 2012.  My Fiance and I are super stoked and really want a fall wedding, but we both really want to get married on Lake Michigan.  Being that it is later in the year, does anyone have any thoughts on this? We are nervous that it will be snowy or really way too cold….We are also on a limited budget so keep that in mind, with any ideas for a reception area….We were thinking Muskegon area because its where we got engaged :J Thanks for any help in advance!
Amanda Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Possible outdoor wedding in October??!

• edited July 2012
    I would strongly advise against an outdoor wedding in October, especially on the lake. It cools off quite a bit, and if there is any sort of breeze coming off the water, it will be cold. Your guests will thank you if you have an indoor wedding where the temperatures can be controlled.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Plan the wedding that you want. Your guests will dress warmer knowing that it is early October. Also, the average weather in October is 55-60. On top of that, this summer has been really really hot and I am sure some guests at weddings were not happy about that. Make sure that  you have a back up plan in case of rain and enjoy the day! Your guests will be fine :)
  • October 6 is still almost September. I say go for it. It could get cold that weekend and be 72 the next but it can rain in July or Snow in May.
    Just have a back up plan.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-lansing_possible-outdoor-wedding-in-october?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:96Discussion:60874c51-3090-45ef-8b3b-c1ca840c8ac5Post:a515ecd3-08f4-4348-9c5c-3e46e88c31ba">Possible outdoor wedding in October??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I just got engaged this last weekend and it is our hope that we will get married on October 6, 2012.   My Fiance and I are super stoked and really want a fall wedding, but we both really want to get married on Lake Michigan.   Being that it is later in the year, does anyone have any thoughts on this? We are nervous that it will be snowy or really way too cold….We are also on a limited budget so keep that in mind, with any ideas for a reception area….We were thinking Muskegon area because its where we got engaged : J Thanks for any help in advance!
    Posted by elidore10062012[/QUOTE]
  • I think you should be mindful of the choice.  It isn't something I would choose.  "Almost still September" in Lansing is far different than being on the lake.  The breeze itself will mess with people hearing your vows, any kind of unity candle or sand ceremony, hair/veil/flowers blowing, etc.  Even if the temp is decent, wind can really screw up your logistics.  Also, keep in mind that you will also have the sound of the water.  One of my favorite sounds ever, but it will be hard for people to  hear you if you are right on the water.

I love the Fall and had an October wedding almost 16 years ago.  It was unseasonable warm for Oct 26th - upper 60's.  Even looking back on how gorgeous the weather was that day, I still wouldn't have chosen outside - and it was definitely a drop dead unseasonably warm Fall day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards