Michigan-Lansing
Options

Photography Quesiton- Help Please

A friend of a friend introduced me to Lizabeth B Morris Photography. I have been emailing with the photographer. She's really cheap- $1000 for everything including travel. I have a low budget so that really interests me. However shes pretty new to photography. Her portfolio is very good but it's not very big- don't know what to do. Has anyone heard of her. Advice please?

Re: Photography Quesiton- Help Please

• Options
    gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I've never heard of her.

Have you met her in person and reviewed some complete wedding albums?  Have you checked her references from other brides?  If all of that checks out, you've done all you can do.  At that point you just have to decide for yourself whether or not you're comfortable with using her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of her, but I would be a little bit skeptical of hiring a photographer without a sizable portfolio. $1000 seems very low, so just make sure you're really clear about what you're getting for that price and compare her package against those of more established photographers. Talk to other brides who have used her and ask a lot of questions about her services and professionalism. If everything checks out and you click with her (when you meet her), then it might be a good choice since you're on a tight budget. Good luck!
  • Options
    BunnyChiiBunnyChii member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    http://lbmphotography.weebly.com/

Is this who you're talking about? If so, her website doesn't have any wedding pics or anything....I'd definitely want to see some photos in person before booking her. I agree, get some references first especially since she doesn't have much experience with weddings. How does your friend know her - professionally, or as a friend?

I have seen someone who hired a photographer for $500 for the whole day. He didn't have much wedding experience and wanted to increase his portfolio. The pictures weren't bad by any means, but they lacked any professional touch. I would have rather forked over a little more cash to get a professional wedding photographer, and I'm known for being frugal!

But in the end, it's totally up to you. Just make sure to do some research before signing any contract or making any payments.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My husband is a photographer and doesn't have a lot of wedding photos yet (he's just starting his own business).  However, he's done lots of weddings through a couple different companies (before he went to school....and he doesn't feel that those pictures measure up to what he is now capable of).  Simply because they are starting up a business doesn't make them unqualified.  I can tell you that he is just as qualified and as good as the photographer we hired (who has been doing weddings for probably 20+ years). 

I can understand your hesitation, but I would suggest talking to her personally.  Maybe she has wedding experience through someone else's business (like my husband), and isn't allowed to use those photos as part of her portfolio.  Also, I think you can tell a lot about someone's style by all of their pictures.  If you like her overall portfolio, check on her past wedding experience and ask about how she handles weddings (like what kinds of photos she'd get, etc...). 

All of that being said, you get what you pay for in photography.  If you want great pictures, you have to pay for them.  Good photographers cost a lot, so keep that in mind.  (Though she might be charging a low price so that she has a chance to build her portfolio and business).  Photos are the only thing you will have to remember your day and you want the very best pictures you can get.

Good luck!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-lansing_photography-quesiton-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:96Discussion:62ada67e-7b72-4982-b4f2-1bc1225a9befPost:657fc791-5b71-44d6-b3c1-8f49d762fb6c">Re: Photography Quesiton- Help Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband is a photographer and doesn't have a lot of wedding photos yet (he's just starting his own business).  However, he's done lots of weddings through a couple different companies (before he went to school....and he doesn't feel that those pictures measure up to what he is now capable of).  Simply because they are starting up a business doesn't make them unqualified.  I can tell you that he is just as qualified and as good as the photographer we hired (who has been doing weddings for probably 20+ years).  I can understand your hesitation, but I would suggest talking to her personally.  Maybe she has wedding experience through someone else's business (like my husband), and isn't allowed to use those photos as part of her portfolio.  Also, I think you can tell a lot about someone's style by all of their pictures.  If you like her overall portfolio, check on her past wedding experience and ask about how she handles weddings (like what kinds of photos she'd get, etc...).  All of that being said, you get what you pay for in photography.  If you want great pictures, you have to pay for them.  Good photographers cost a lot, so keep that in mind.  (Though she might be charging a low price so that she has a chance to build her portfolio and business).  Photos are the only thing you will have to remember your day and you want the very best pictures you can get. Good luck!!
    Posted by nlfeguer[/QUOTE]
    Be careful about mentioning the info about your husband.  It can start blurring the lines between poster and vendor.  You should also remember you are not allowed to recommend him (not saying you would but you just want to be mindful of it) even if you offer his services for free!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the nfluer. I am a wedding photographer and allllll wedding photographers have to start somewhere!!

Some key questions to ask a newbie (IMO) 

How is your confidence when it comes to directing people during time crunches. Dealing with people who have had to much to drink.

How do you handle low light situations

Why did you choose wedding photography

Also, along the lines with nfleur, she may have images that she may not be able to use if she has second shot, so maybe ask her if she has shot with any other photogs and ask if they displayed any of her images.

You can definately tell the style of their work by other pictures, everyone has to start somewhere Jasmine Star (fab wedding photographer from CA) had a first wedding, there are gems in the beginning photographer pool. but also remember you can't redo the photos, don't book soley on price because out of everything that you pay for in a wedding the photos are the ONE thing that you will have physically left in 20 years. 

Have fun, let us know what you decide!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards