Michigan-Lansing
Options

help with flowers

I am having a mid- September wedding. A friend suggested I could plant my own flowers and cut them to use for the wedding (financial reasons do not allow a florist to do my flowers) Any tips on what would work in our weather and could I plant in spring to  use fall flowers ( or late summer). I have been thinking of ranunculus, dahlias, sunflowers, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: help with flowers

• Options
    kovitvonkovitvon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how true this is, but my florist said that she absolutely refuses to use flowers that are picked from someone's garden because they won't last. She said the flowers have to be hybrids to work as cut flowers and to not wilt almost immediately. You may want to rethink planting and using your own since the flowers may end up looking dead :(  I know places like Costco sell roses and cut flowers for a reasonable price, they're even grown in a responsible and environmentally friendly way. If you buy cut flowers then they will at least be hybrids that will be able to last as decor. I would try to find a cheaper place to buy the flowers from and arrange them yourself, it will still save money. Then again some people use wild flowers! So who knows, just wanted to pass on what I had heard...
  • Options
    alknappalknapp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard the same as PP.  I know people in the area who bought their flowers bulk from Horrocks and had great experiences with that.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for letting me know about not being able to use my "homegrown" flowers :) I will definitely try Horrocks though!

Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am on a strict budget for my wedding and was able to get all of my flowers from BA florist for under 300.00. That included 4 bouquets, 3 coursages, 10 bout, and loose flowers for my cake. There were wonderful and stayed within my budget. My flowers will be unique but still look great! Try them out I have sent all of my friends getting married to them and they have all like them as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @ blakej...thank you, I will look into BA as well.    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards