Michigan-Lansing
Options

House in Woods, Dewitt, MI

Alright everyone I am about 3months away from my wedding date! 

I am having my reception at House in Woods Bed & Breakfast in Dewitt, MI.  Has anyone else recently had their wedding reception there? 

My wedding planner has suggested that we switch venues due to a previous wedding where the House in Woods service was awful and she had to help in a tremendous amount. 

She says he won't follow through on any of our requests...no matter how detailed we get. 

I need help!!  What should I do?

Re: House in Woods, Dewitt, MI

• Options
    edited December 2011
    LuEllen and I are already e-mailing about this but for any other knotties reading...

I just had my wedding there. The owner was AWFUL. Kate, our DOC from Ele3 Events is the only reason why it wasn't a nightmare on the day of.

She is right. They don't follow through on most of their MANY promises and also some that are right in the contract.

Unfortunately, I don't have any help for what you should do at this point or what any other venue options are. Calling all knotties!!! Any suggestions?!?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If we were to switch it would have to be a venue that lets you bring in your own catering and liquor. 

The Dewitt Conference center is already booked - Kate checked.

We are having our ceremony in Fowler.  So we are willing to travel about 30-40 minutes. 

• Options
    gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What about the Grand Ledge Opera House or the Grand Ledge Country Club?  Both will let you bring in food & liquor.  Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am having my recpetion at Fountain Hall in St. John's. Its a really great space and it's SUPER easy to get to, right on old 27.  The lady who I talked to, Cindy, is really sweet and easy to work with and they let you bring in your own caterers and liquor. I was told there is a four keg maximum (which seems like alot to me), she didnt say anything about a maximum for liquor.  You'd have to have your own people to take care of the food and your own bartender.  There's a kitchen on site with a couple ovens and a fridge, enough space for 300 people, tables and chairs are included in the rental fee. Oh and there's wood floors too, darker ceiling (that i think gives it a warmer vibe) an a warm color on the walls that's really nice looking.  Good Luck!

my_wedding_original Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest grand ledge opera house.  If we couldn't afford the venue we chose then that was my 2nd choice.  I just went and saw it on saturday and it's actually really nice.  One of my fiance's friends got married there and they loved it.
  • Options
    ljones725ljones725 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just heard this venue got sold, you might want to touch base with the new owners.  Someone I know getting married 8/20 got a call from them and has had to meet to renogotiate her contract!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea I have been in touch with a lot lately.  

They did transfer ownership but the new people are fabulous!!  It is a guy named Don but he is 10 times better than the previous person.  

He actually was writing down the decisions I was making and taking notes.  

Luckily with our contract we are providing our own catering company so we didn't have to have the tough conversations about menu pricing.  Which were a bit out of wack from the start.

But so far so good but thanks for the heads up.    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards