Michigan-Lansing

Blocking Hotel Rooms

Has anyone thought about not blocking hotel rooms? We are finding that if rooms go unused, we pay for them, which I think is ridiculous. There are a number of hotels around the area and our wedding isn't during an big events or holidays. If I just include a suggested list of hotels, is that good enough?

Re: Blocking Hotel Rooms

• edited December 2011

I would check around with more hotels. The places I've checked with let you block off as many rooms as you think you might need, and then guests can book rooms until about 1 month before the wedding. Any rooms not booked will be un-blocked so the hotel can book them at their normal rates, and you don't have to pay for them.

Unfortunately, my wedding isn't in the Lansing area so I don't know of any specific hotels.

• wparsons1223wparsons1223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check around with more Hotels. I have a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn on Canal. We do not have to pay for unused rooms, but do have a deadline. If any rooms aren't reserved by that date, they become open to the general public. Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I work at the Ramada on Saginaw and Canal.  We can block rooms for you and whatever rooms you dont use by a certin date will be un blocked and you will not have to pay for them.  You would just have to call us and talk to one of our sales managers and they will negotiate a rae depending on how many rooms you think you will need.
  • edited December 2011
    I think a block is nice for your guests, and you usually can get a better rate than the regulars. I'm using the Courtyard Marriott by Eastwoode Towne Center, but all the hotels I talked to didn't penalize for unbooked rooms. Good luck!
    ~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
    9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image
  • smfismfi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats so weird because when we called about a month ago, the Courtyard Marriott that is, they did. It was even the one on Lake Lansing, the same one you called.
  • edited December 2011
    That is very weird that they would just add that! But nope, I have my wedding block contract that says I won't be charged for unused rooms and they let me hold as many as I wanted.
    ~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
    9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image
  • alknappalknapp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another thing you could do is start with a smaller block than you need.  All the places I have talked to are letting us start with ten rooms and then add more as necessary.
  • edited December 2011
    I just finished talking to hotels on Monday! I spoke with Courtyard by Marriot on Lake Lansing, the Hampton Inn off Coolidge and the new Holiday in Express (my wedding and reception will be at HH/Eagle Eye).

I am DEFINITELY going with Courtyard. Unfortunately our wedding is during a home football game. I worked with Chris Steffe at Courtyard and he's giving me a great deal off the price that they jack it up to for FB games. They're also throwing in a continental breakfast for my guests and doing a shuttle for guests to and from HH/Eagle Eye. Also, their renovations are incredible!

Hampton Inn won't do blocks during those weekends, and they said they don't do a shuttle. They wouldn't give me a discount price off their high FB weekend prices either, so I just left them.

Holiday Inn Express is new and pretty. But, again, their prices are expensive duing FB weekends and they didn't come down on them. Also, management requires you to book Friday AND Saturday nights on FB weekends, or none at all. They're in the process of working a shuttle to HH/Eagle Eye, but it sounds like they're charging passengers $3 a ride.

So, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Courtyard by Marriot. We went in and saw the rooms. For every 20 nights booked in your block, they give you and your groom a night free in a King Suite. Pretty rooms too! And, you're not penalized for unused rooms. They just put them back up, available for anyone if they're not booked 1 month before the date (or some kind of time frame like that!)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad to hear you ladies had good experiences with Courtyard. I called and asked for a quote but they never called me back so I went elsewhere. We blocked off rooms at the Baymont Inn in Dewitt. They don't have a penalty for unused rooms. I'd check around more because I found a couple places that did this as well but just kept looking. 
  • smfismfi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called  the Courtyard Marriott on Lake Lansing and have had no luck with them returning my phone calls. My FI called last week and spoke to someone but didn't block rooms right then because he wanted to talk to me. If I would have known how hard it is to get a hold of them I would have just told him to book it then. FI also did call a month ago and left a message with no return phone call. And when you ask about blocking rooms at the front desk, they just directly send you to sales, where they never answer the phone......I really like that hotel too
  • edited December 2011
    I understand your frustration about getting ahold of them. I just WALKED IN one day and there was a lot of people standing around so I was able to speak with them.

Since then it has been somewhat difficult to talk to them on the phone so I email. I recommend going and speaking to them in person. There's a good chance they'll throw in a better deal, too, if you do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards