Michigan-Lansing

Dress shopping?

So my mom and sisters will be coming to visit August 2 to go dress shopping.....should I be looking around before they get here so I don't "waste time" that day? I want to look for bridesmaid dresses as well the same day....also, I am trying to stay under $1000....any advice? I have heard great things about Becker's Bridal and Fantastic Finds, but am scared they will be too expensive. I do not love David's Bridal from past experiences....any advice would be WONDERFUL! Thanks Ladies!!!

Carissa

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress shopping?

• gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Both Becker's and Fantastic Finds have dresses under $1000, Becker's probably has a larger selection in that price range, however.

If you want to look at both bridal and bridesmaids in one day, Becker's may be your best bet.  Fantasic finds is now requiring appointments for bridesmaids dresses, so getting two appointment times that will work together could be difficult.

Have fun.
  • clarkjaclarkja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both Becker's and Fantastic Finds will have beautiful dresses under $1,000.  However, I do not recommend finding YOUR dress as well as bridesmaid dresses in the same day.  You'd be surprised at how exhausting it can be to try on dresses and you want everyone to be in good moods. :o)

I bought my dress from Fantasic Finds about a month ago and they actually gave me a bunch of $25.00 off your wedding dress coupons so if you are interested in a coupon, I'd be glad to mail it to you to save you a little bit of money.
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Fantastic Finds, and almost all the dresses I tried on were under $1000; mine was just a little over, and I think the most expensive I tried on was $1400. Every store can have hit or miss days, but I would check out all three of the ones you mentioned!
    ~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
    9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image
  • edited December 2011
    I can't recommend Fantastic Finds highly enough. All of the dresses I tried on were between 600-1400 and there were TONS in the 700-800 range. Just make sure to tell them your budget and they won't steer you in the wrong direction. I haven't been to Becker's so I can't speak to their customer service but I find it hard to believe that the service at Fantastic Finds could be beat.

I don't know about shopping ahead of time to avoid wasting time. I looked online at a billion dresses to get an idea of what I liked and disliked. I didn't want to look at or try on a single real dress until my family was with me because I thought that's what made it so special. I wanted to share that with all of them and was afraid if I looked first I might find "the one" all by myself (no fun). And wouldn't you know it, I ended up with a dress without a single feature from my "must have" list :) But it's perfect! So I wouldn't even worry about any "research" ahead of time unless you really just want to for fun.

Good luck with everything and HAVE FUN!!
  • Swtangel098Swtangel098 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a horrible experience with Fantastic Finds. I told them my budget before trying on any dresses and all of the dresses she had me try on were way over the budget we had given her. I ended up buying my dress at Pierre's Bridal in Lansing. But, I also loved Becker's Bridal...I guess any of them can be hit or miss on any given day.
  • Carissa6687Carissa6687 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I appreciate all the input! Is it too early to make an appt? It's about one month from today. Since everyone lives out of of town I want to try and at least get a feel for bridesmaid dresses and what looks good on the 3 girls body types.....I am thinking if I just do the 2 locations, one in the morning, lunch, then one later in the afternoon we might be able to look at both?? I will let you know what happens!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that 2 locations is enough for one day. We stayed a long time at Fantastic Finds! And no, it's not too early to make an appointment, especially a weekend one. I highly recommend asking for my consultant, Kim Dubay, at FF, although I know others girls here loved theirs as well!

I too have those referral cards if you want me to send you one. Just shoot me a Private Message!
    ~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
    9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image
  • jdukusjdukus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to chime in here. I went to Becker's and would highly recommend them as well. I did not want to spend a ton of time looking for dresses and was worried I wouldn't find one that looked good. The consultant I had picked out the only two dresses I even liked and I walked out the door the same day with my dress in hand. I don't think I even saw a dress over $1000 there, although I'm sure they have them somewhere! The service was great and I LOVE my dress! Good luck hunting!
  • ChiaraSeraChiaraSera member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope I'm not too late to this thread, but I've LOVED my experience at Lett's Bridal. They have a great selection of dresses, and while there are some over 1000, there are also plenty that are under it. For example, my Casablanca gown wass $700 and I found the same gown at two different stores (in Indiana) that were over $800. So I think their pricing is pretty good. Also, my alterations were very reasonable, just $40 for fit and $40 for the bustle.

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards