Indiana

My fiancé wants to get married at a hockey rink.

Help. My fiancé would like to get married at center ice at a hockey rink. He likes hockey and plays twice a week on recreational leagues. I have been to see a few of his games, but I do not go every week, and I am not generally a big sports fan. I really only go because I love him and I like seeing him play. I'd go more often, except it's miserably cold in there.

So I am not at all excited by the idea of a hockey rink wedding ceremony. I think our guests and attendants will be freezing so we'd have to rush through the ceremony, I am scared of falling on the ice, and I honestly don't think it will be at all elegant, which is what I would like. I can't even picture what kind of dress would be appropriate - certainly not any of the ones I've liked.

Thoughts? Does anyone know anyone who got married at center ice, and how did it go for them? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My fiancé wants to get married at a hockey rink.

• twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe find a ceremony venue that is near the rink and ask to take some portraits there after the ceremony (unless you do a first look of course).  I saw an adorable wedding photo once where the bride and groom where skating on the ice.  I certainly wouldn't want the wedding on the ice either...it's a broken bone waiting to happen!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    plus if you guys were center ice with the officiant, your guests would be so far away! (will they be in the bleachers or on the ice too?)  sounds like an accident waiting to happen. 

But I definitely agree with Twix, suggest doing some pictures there after the ceremony, or maybe engagement pictures instead.  Incorporating hockey in some other way might appease your FI.  (at least he's involved and suggesting locations, haha!)
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, the guests would be in the bleachers, which means they probably wouldn't be able to see or hear us very well, either.

I like the idea of engagement photos there instead! I will float that one by him and see what he thinks.

Thanks, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've never done this, though as a hockey fan this sounds fun :-).  Although the only issue I'm seeing may be that your guests will be seated kind of far away (in the bleachers).  Though if it were a big church wedding instead, you may still have guests who are far away from the action.

As far as safety is concerned, here's an idea.  Maybe an option for you might be to have a carpet runner on the ice, kind of like what they do for awards presentations and NHL hall of fame inductions?  Then you can walk on the ice without falling over, and no one else in your ceremony will have the same problems (such as your officiant or WP).  Good luck to you :-).
  • edited December 2011
    Update - my FI finally started to consider the issues (chilliness, friends & fam too far away to hear us, chances of falling on the ice, etc.) and we went another direction - whew!

Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards