Indiana
Options

Getting family member ordained?

I was wondering if anyone else has done this in Indiana. I wanted to have a family member perform our service but I don't know all the legalities of doing this. There are so many places online to be ordained but I don't know how this translates back to Indiana Law? EGAD! help! please! Thanks!

Re: Getting family member ordained?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI grandmother is marrying us and is an ordained minister. You can either go through a church to get ordained or go online like this website which she used http://www.themonastery.org/?gclid=CP3JxpqrwKACFSFy5QodmRXCTw 

I can't remember if its the church license that is limited or if its the online version that is limited from state to state. But if they got it for the state of indiana it should be ok. HTH
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend got ordained through Universal Life Church.  According to Tippecanoe county they require no "proof" of his ordination.  He will sign the marriage certificate and they will accept it.

From what I've heard elsewhere it only becomes a problem if someone chooses to question the marriage.  Then (I imagine) you'd just have your family member provide their certificate to the county clerk to prove it's all legal.

Be sure to call your county clerk to verify the situation in your county.
  • Options
    MissSkittyMissSkitty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just popping in. I didn't know it was that easy to become ordained...
    My Bio!
    (it's still a work in progress)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PhotoMotoPhotoMoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband got ordained to do a friends wedding.  The lady at the courthouse said "you can do it, but it won't hold up in court" Basically if you live happily every after then fine its all legal.  But if there is a divorce or someone else calls into question the validity of the marriage, it will probably be found invalid.  There are other ways to recoginize family... I don't suggest doing this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you mind telling me where you're located, which County?
  • Options
    PhotoMotoPhotoMoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana_getting-family-member-ordained?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:97Discussion:5c45bd06-dba9-41e9-9145-0720321cc90ePost:48118a28-6b2d-42f1-83b7-c56f5cdb0195">Re: Getting family member ordained?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you mind telling me where you're located, which County?
    Posted by tobeDrReed[/QUOTE]
    Im not sure if that was directed at me, but I am in Hamilton
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My step dad got ordained because I wanted to include him in the wedding (since he has been such a big part of my life) and I thought it would be weird if I had him and my real dad walking me down the aisle.  He went through the Universal Life Church, and I believe he's going to take all his paperwork to the courthouse in our hometown and get it all cleared before the wedding.  He did a lot of research on it before hand to make sure it would all be legal as well.  I know that this is becoming more of a common thing nowadays as it is much cheaper to find a family member or close friend to perform the ceremony than it is to hire a minister.
  • Options
    JrschroederJrschroeder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine got ordained through the Universal Life Church, and we were hoping he would be able to marry us. All of my research is saying yes that will work, but I'm definitely calling the county clerk to double check.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards