Indiana
Options

Venues Near Evansville?

Hi all! We just got engaged last week, and are planning the wedding for 10/10/10 (a quick one, I know, but we have our heart set on that date!).

Now I'm trying to figure out a venue for the ceremony, possibly the reception as well. I'm open to an outdoor venue, but we're wanting to have a lot of music before/during the ceremony, so inside might be better (plus no weather issues).

I'm NOT looking for something particularly elegant. We are also NOT churchgoers, so that's out unless we can find a more rustic/non-demoninational  sort of chapel. We're big geeks, and while some aspects of our wedding will be somewhat traditional, for the most part we'll be going a little quirky. No wedding party, no catered meal, etc.

Any recommendations within an hour or so radius of Evansville? We were looking at Audubon State Park, but I'm not really familiar with their facilities. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!  :)

Re: Venues Near Evansville?

• Options
    edited December 2011

Well depending on the size of your wedding there are a variety of places:

I'm getting married in New Harmony (about an hour from Evansville) at the Rapp Owen Granary (looks like a giant barn! lol) holds about 130 people.  There's also the roofless church in New Harmony as well as the New Harmony Inn.

In Evansville you might want to check out Burdette Park (they can hold up to 500+) in some of their venues!

Just a couple of options that I looked at.  There's always fairgrounds, and such that you could hold it at (I'm from Princeton and people have held them at our fairgrounds).  Hope this helps some!

• Options
    bbcheeksbbcheeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the old courthouse downtown Evansville. 

Also there is an old church in Newburgh that was the town hall for years.  They have restored the upstairs to use for weddings or receptions.  The lower level is a museum.

Angel Mounds has a small reception room as well.

The Rapp Owen Granery is very cool.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all... I'm quite familar with New Harmony, and the Granary is a great location. I actually considered it 7-8 years ago when I almost got married to the wrong guy. ;)

I'm thinking our wedding will actually be rather small, like less than 100 people or so. One of the problems is that I'm not really sure what type of venue will work well with the style - fun, modern, etc. Plus, our budget isn't huge. We're doing as much DIY as possible.

Also, ideally we'd have the reception in the same place or close by, and I'm really wanting it to have some great TVs accessible (we're planning on having video gaming!).  And since we're not having a DJ, and likely our own music, a decent sound system is a must. Probably a tall order!! Hmmm....
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many of my friends have their receptions at Cambridge. However, it can be pricey if you use their dinner buffet.

I'm actually looking at Kingsmen Event Facility on the north side of town. It's newly opened and looks pretty nice. They quoted me $595 for a Sunday.

The Vanderburgh 4H grounds have a few rental halls, but I"m not sure what the pricing goes for them. They might also be too big for 100 people. I'm pretty sure they let you use your own caterer and bar service though. My friend backed a Budweiser truck up into the hall for her wedding. :)

Others have had their reception in the gym of St. James up in haubstadt. They will also let you use your own food and bar services.

I will say be learly of Holitzer Hall or whatever it's called on Cullen Ave. My friends had their reception there a few years ago and had a bad experience. The guy isn't very nice.

If you look at churches, see if there are any Unitarian churches. They are about as non-traditional and non-demoninational as you can go.

If I think of anything else I"ll post it.
  • Options
    AnnaScarlettAnnaScarlett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Old County Courthouse is fabulous
  • Options
    kclevidence90kclevidence90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How much did the granary quote you for?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know how much the Old Courthouse rents for? Their email address is not working and the contact person isn't emailing me back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards