Indiana
Options

Rehearsal Runaround...

We are getting married in the chapel on our college campus… the original plan was to have the rehearsal the Friday night before the wedding followed by dinner at my fiancé’s parents house. Unfortunately, the college has an event in the chapel from 6:30 to 7:30 on Friday night and we cannot have access to the chapel until 7:30.  The in-laws live 20 minutes from campus. So having the rehearsal first puts dinner rather late. And having the rehearsal earlier is not possible because everyone will be coming from out of town and have to work.  I’ve gone around and around in circles trying to come up with the best solution… We need to have the rehearsal at the actual location the wedding will be…. I need suggestions!!  Is it okay to have dinner first and then the rehearsal after?  We don’t want to keep our guests out late either…and the later it gets the less likely my flower girl and ring bearer will function well. I was thinking maybe having the dinner begin around 6:00 and then travel to campus to have the rehearsal after dinner.  Another option would be to have dinner at a restaurant closer to campus, but there aren’t very many options. It’s a small town. And to top it off, I’ll need some time at some point to decorate the chapel…

Re: Rehearsal Runaround...

• Options
    ndirish07ndirish07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We kind of have the same situation--we too are getting married at our college, where they do 4 weddings each Saturday, which means 4 rehearsals Friday night. 

Our assigned time for our rehearsal is 7:00 pm, and our wedding is at 11:00 am (yuck right?) Saturday morning, so in the interest of not making it too late of a night we are having our formal rehearsal dinner before the rehearsal itself.  Then, after the rehearsal, we are inviting anyone who wants to continue the party longer back to the house we are staying at for finger foods, etc.

Doing the RD before the rehearsal will also give you plenty of time afterwards to decorate the chapel immediately following, without having to make trips back and forth, so it could be convenient!
  • Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that having dinner beforehand would be nice.  You could then travel to the ceremony site and do the rehearsal and then maybe do dessert after the rehearsal?  That way the party can continue, but those who need to leave (your FG and RB) wouldn't feel the pressure to stay. 
  • Options
    ChiaraSeraChiaraSera member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same situation (I actually think I'm getting married in the same place, and on the same day as ndirish07, 7/31/10, right?) but my rehearsal doesn't start until 8:15! I really hope we don't have a cranky FG on our hands the next morning!

But we're doing the RD before the rehearsal as well and then letting everyone know that we'll meet them at a bar (Corby's, Fiddler's Hearth or Oyster Bar) for a drink afterward if they want. Since literally 99.99% of the guestlist is from out of town we can't possibly have all the OOT guests at the rehearsal. We're planning on letting everyone know what bars/restaurants are nearby and where we'll be going after the rehearsal, so some of our guest will propably meet us out too.

In your case, you could just send some people who aren't helping decorate off to a bar or a dessert place and meet up with them afterward.
  • Options
    ndirish07ndirish07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha how fun, we can wave to each other on our way in/out!!  Are you the person I am so jealous of with the 1 or 3 o'clock time slot?!  You are very lucky! :)

• Options
    ChiaraSeraChiaraSera member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea.. sorry I'm in the 3:00... I don't know how it happened but we got through at 8:30 on the call day, and we (Fi and I) were the only ones calling. I think when we called there were only like 5 other weddings already booked in the whole summer, so we had our pick of days!

Are you getting excited?? only 5 mo to go! My to-do list keeps giving me mini anxiety attacks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards