Indiana

Opinions Please!

Hi Ladies--I need your thoughts!

FI and I have recently begun thinking about/looking into booking a honeymoon.  We were really excited about the idea of an All Inclusive on the beaches in Mexico--our current dream honeymoon is at the Excellence Playa Mujeres! We are so excited about the idea of a big all-inclusive that offers lots of options and relaxation!

Long story short, FI's parents were talking to a neighbor of theirs, who asked what our honeymoon plans were.  She told them we were thinking Mexico, and the neighbor proceeded to offer us a week at their time share at the Playa Del Sol Grand near Puerto Vallarta in Mexico.

FI and I were speechless and so blessed by their generosity and told them we would let them know soon!  However, we have been researching it and reading reviews on TripAdvisor, and now we aren't sure what we should do.  While the reviews aren't completely horrible by any means and it looks like a very nice place, it is missing a lot of the aspects and details that we were so excited about in the places we had been looking.

Being on a budget, I am having a hard time passing by on the offer, however knowing that we only honeymoon once, we don't know what we should do--would you accept their generous offer and go to a place that might not be at the top of your list, or should we go ahead with the plans for our dream honeymoon? 

Let me know what you would do!  Thanks!

Re: Opinions Please!

• edited December 2011
    I think that the honeymoon is what you make it no matter where you are!  My brother went to the first place you were talking about on his honeymoon last year and they loved it!  So good luck with your choice, if it was me I would take up the offer to use the condo and use the money I would have spent on the hotel on other things to do while in mexico!
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you use the timeshare for your honeymoon and then plan a trip to the other resort for your 1st Anniversary?  You can use some of the money you would have used for the HM to pay for some of those extras that are no longer included.
  • edited December 2011
    For our budget wedding, we're planning a 'mini vaca' right after the wedding to decompress and then a full out honeymoon a couple months later. A free stay in Mexico sounds like a great way to relax for a few days, and you might be able to do some extra things with your budget if you're not paying for a place to stay.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That is a hard decision, because I weigh heavily on reviews.  We were considering a different resort for our trip this year and I couldn't get myself to book it because of the reviews.

Personally I think if you can make it work with your budget go to the place you are set on going.  If not, you might second guess yourself or look for all the bad out of the other place.

Like I said, that is a hard decision.  Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    oh, that is a tough one.

personally, i would probably go to the place i really want to go.  especially if you are reading some not so good reviews of the other place.  also as a side note...when talking to our TA about different destinations she had made a comment that puerto vallarta isn't what it used to be and suggested we not go there. not quite sure what she meant. i didn't ask her to explain. i'm assuming the city is going downhill. 

i was there about 10 years ago and loved it. it think it has more of an authentic feel there than the riviera maya area. we did alot of fun things there. tours of the city, deep sea fishing, jungle tour, bull fight (although we left after the first bull was killed...i didn't know they actually killed them!!)  the only negative i saw was that the ocean is not what it is like on the carribean side. it didn't have the crystal blue waters that we saw when in cancun/playa del carmen area. so, i guess if having an awesome beach is at the top of your list, go for excellence. :) 

hope this helps! good luck deciding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards