Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

**Kwynn**

Random question here :)In McBride's 'alice' post last week, you said you were going to add some of the things to your 'price book (at least, I think that was you!).Did you do this yet?  I'm curious to see how they compared.  I compared a lot of the prices to my Giant Eagle prices, and a lot of them were actually MORE expensive than at Giant Eagle.  Those that were cheaper were only cheaper by a few pennies here and there, and considering the Fuel Perks I get through Giant Eagle, it didn't make sense for me to purchase through Alice.What were your findings?

Re: **Kwynn**

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering about that too.  I usually just buy cleaning product type things at the dollar store.  I've never heard of pricebook, is it some kind of program that you download to compare prices? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have Giant Eagle here (now that we're in Florida), so I can't compare to GE. I generally buy things at three stores: Walmart, BJ's Warehouse Club (like a Costco or Sam's Club), and Aldi's.I haven't had a chance to compare the things from Alice to the things I usually buy and have listed in my price book; it is on my list of things to do. My price book is just a table I made in a Word document where I record prices in stores. I then break it down by the ounce so I can see who has the rock bottom cheapest prices per ounce for the product.I did it for my grocery items first (items I usually buy the most, like spaghetti sauce, etc). I haven't moved on to cleaning products because we don't buy a whole lot of them. (We're really stocked up on cleaning products right now, so I haven't bought any more).We're also not brand loyal except in a very few rare cases.For example, if you drink soda, the rock bottom cheapest price in my area is to buy it by the two liter bottle. (That's usually the cheapest way no matter the brand). I buy Sam's Choice and stock up on it when it is $.58 a bottle for a 2 liter or $.008/ounce. That's right, less than a penny per ounce! :)I can then use it to compare if I'm really getting a good deal. For example, cereal at $.06 an ounce is a great deal, so I buy as much as possible then. (See my blog for the Raisin Bran overflowing from the top of our fridge, haha, I put pics of what I did with all the boxes).Does that make sense or do I seem ridiculous? I know grocery prices vary from area to area as do cleaning supplies. GE has some prices cheaper as "loss leaders." They actually lose money on these items to get you in the door and buy other things that cost more. Recently, Walmart has started doing this as well with weekly sales/roll backs. We are now only shopping once every two weeks, but I'm going to check out the Alice thing and add it to my book to check the prices in all of my stores (BJ's, Wallyworld, and maybe the Dollar Tree near WM). Page me in two weeks if I forget and I'll see what I found!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I just reviewed some of my list. In no way is Alice cheaper if you are not brand loyal. They can get close on some products, but you'd have to do the calculations. I did these super quick. Toilet paper here as of Saturday night at warehouse club: $22.49 total or $.004 per linear square footToilet paper on Alice:Ranging from $.005/linear foot to $.07/linear foot based on quick calculationsIf you have to have certain brands, it will be cheaper. Like if you can only use pricey shampoos, it will be cheaper. I definitely think for families or for people that use better name products than me, it will be worth it.Also, I think about the out-of-pocket cost as well. So for example, if I know we will use all of it for sure (like TP), I'll buy based on the ounce. If it is a cleaning product I need for some job (rust in a bathtub), I'll probably go with the lowest cost out of pocket, since I won't likely use all of the product and it will either go bad/ineffective or I'll have to find somewhere to store it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That doesn't sound crazy (I don't break it down to ounces but I do stock up on things like pasta when it's 32oz. for $1 and especially cereal which usually has coupons).  I think GE's meats are really expensive, but I find great deals on other things (a few weeks ago they had Eddy's icecream on 4 for $10 and if you bought 4 you got a coupon for $4 off your next purchase) maybe they're not always necessary, but I'd rather spend that than $3 for one half gallon when there's no sale.  We don't have many brand loyalties, if we didn't have an HE washer I'd buy that generic as well but I don't believe any come in that.  I think Tide is usually really expensive, even on sale and they have crappy coupons so we usually use Wisk (I'll have to check Alice for that) or Kirkland's.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh, I'm addicted now to looking up things I already know the price of and checking it.Okay deals from Alice:TPCondomsPoor Deal from Alice:Frosted Flakes ($.25/oz, can regularly be found on sale and with coupons for $.09/ounce)Triscuits (Walmart frequently has them for $2 a box, can sometimes get $1 off coupons as well from couponmom.com; Alice wants $3.29 for the same size box)Raisin Bran (See previous post)Oatmeal (.25/oz, I can get it for $.05/oz)Suave Shampoo ($.30 cheaper per bottle here in store)Astringent/TonerBatteriesAlice is selling primarily convenience foods or single servings. We stopped buying that stuff because it was more money. I think high cost of living areas would find this to be money-saving. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Davey's, we have a HE washer. We got it when we were totally stocked up on months' worth of laundry soap. So I use it anyway. I wasn't going to let all my cheapo laundry soap go to waste. My DH has been doing this for a year and nothing bad has happened. You can just use a little less detergent, which is what I do, as the loads are actually a little smaller with a front loader than with a top loader anyway.The HE washer cleans really well anyway, so you don't need as much detergent. Also, if you're a super money-saver, you can make your own laundry detergent! It is very easy. You got that ice cream dirt cheap! My personal best is $.029/ounce for the Aldi's brand. The next cheapest is WallyWorld Country Rich at $.035/oz.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm suprised you know the TP by foot measurement, is that 1ply or 2 ply?  J/K.  Do you have Rite Aid down there Kristen?  They have rebates for alot of stuff that you end up getting free or for a few pennies, and you don't have to mail the barcodes in or anything that's a PIA anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, I do TP by the linear foot (it's all 2 ply). The reason is that I don't do it by the square foot because it is all basically the same width anyway and secondly, even if it is more narrow, you won't use more or less because of that, you will still pull of the same amount linearly.We don't have Rite Aid, but we do have the CVS deals. But I just can't fathom how to do it. I had someone literally go over the CVS flier with me and tell me which items to buy and how to roll the extra care bucks, rebates, etc. I still decided not to do it because I'm not going to buy stuff I don't need just to get it for free or for pennies. Is that the way Rite Aid works? Or are you buying stuff you actually can use? We must be gross because we really don't go through that many toiletries. There's only 2 of us and DH is never home. If I had a family, it would be different though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's mostly stuff we use, razors, shampoo/styling stuff, toothpaste, even makeup and hair dye, they have condom rebates too (your post above made me think of mentioning it).  They've even had OTC meds that were free, so I stocked up on those before cold season (I know when I need them they're always astronomically high priced b/c my cold has no sense of timing lol).  If there is something that I can get free that I don't use I'll just donate it to somewhere like the armed forces.  I've never tried the CVS rebates though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh, I broke the post with italics!It seems that Rite Aid's program is easier to use. CVS was just too complex for me. We don't have a Rite Aid here, but when we eventually move back north, I will keep it in mind and see if I can get good deals there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards