Plus-Sized

WR poll - "permission"/blessing

Wedding related poll! I hope this does not offend or upset anyone who may not have a father. If so, please know that is not my intention.

Re: WR poll - "permission"/blessing

• I picked other....yes he asked but I didn't care either way if he did or not. I think my dad liked it though.
  • Even if my father was still alive, I would not have wanted FH to ask him for permission to marry me. We're both in our 30's. We're not children.

On the flip side, I had been contemplating proposing to FH before he asked me. One thought I had was to flip the gender roles and ask his mother for her blessing.
  • Even if my father was still alive, I would not have wanted FH to ask him for permission to marry me. We're both in our 30's. We're not children.

On the flip side, I had been contemplating proposing to FH before he asked me. One thought I had was to flip the gender roles and ask his mother for her blessing.
  • edited December 2011
    -off topic- @Pirate: What is the dress in your siggy/where is it from? I always love it and get distracted every time you post. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • He 'talked to my father' about it. Not so much as asked, but informed my father what he was planning on doing. I had no idea. I didn't even know he was planning on proposing. I figured we would have a while to go before he would ask me. Turns out, he sat down with my mom and dad a month before he even proposed. I still can't believe my mom kept it a secret.

Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_wr-poll-permissionblessing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:09a0ccdf-f577-497a-8d89-62f140b88c27Post:11477ca5-215c-4427-a4a1-30d48ea6eea3">Re: WR poll - "permission"/blessing</a>:
    [QUOTE]-off topic- @Pirate: What is the dress in your siggy/where is it from? I always love it and get distracted every time you post. 
    Posted by egeurts[/QUOTE]

it's an allure dress. i had to look it up, because i loved it too

ETA: <a href="http://allurebridals.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=10DF4D2654032gI6G04g">clicky link</a>
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_wr-poll-permissionblessing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:09a0ccdf-f577-497a-8d89-62f140b88c27Post:366f2ee6-190d-4250-b205-434328ea848c">Re: WR poll - "permission"/blessing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR poll - "permission"/blessing : <strong>it's an allure dress</strong>. i had to look it up, because i loved it too
    Posted by jmorford[/QUOTE]
    It's so alluring!!!

/badjoke
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_wr-poll-permissionblessing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:09a0ccdf-f577-497a-8d89-62f140b88c27Post:11477ca5-215c-4427-a4a1-30d48ea6eea3">Re: WR poll - "permission"/blessing</a>:
    [QUOTE]-off topic- @Pirate: What is the dress in your siggy/where is it from? I always love it and get distracted every time you post. 
    Posted by egeurts[/QUOTE]

Yep. You guys found it. It's an Allure style W282. I have yet to find a local shop that carries it and haven't seen it in person.
  • My father and I don't get along very well, and I already knew that he didn't exactly like my fiance (at least not for my husband) because my fiance doesn't make 6 figures or come with a prestigious title like CEO or Dr. My fiance asked if I wanted him to ask my dad and I told him flat out no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When fi and I started getting serious, and discussing getting married, I told him in no uncertain terms that he was not to ask for any sort of permission or blessing from my family. They've met him, if they had a problem with him they could bring it up, but I wanted to know about it first. I think it would take away the special from me if he told my frickin parents first! I don't know, it makes it less romantic or something to me. And if they said no, I'd marry him anyway, so it's really meaningless I guess, at least to me.

We did, however discuss it with my children first. I did want them to be okay with it since he'll be their step-dad and all.

I think maybe in some areas/ with some families it's more traditional. I only know 2 people (sisters) whose mom got asked before their husband proposed. And I'm pretty sure mom demanded it. We all giggled about it since we'd never heard anyone do that before, like it was from the 50's or something!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards