Plus-Sized

Lack of motivation - where do you find yours?

Hi guys!  I know I'm new to this board and haven't officially introduced myself - I'm Liz and getting married August 2012.  I need some advice from my fellow plus sized girls, if you don't mind?

I kept saying "I have X many months until the wedding" and I was feeling confident that I would at the very least get my arms (my least favorite part of my body) somewhat presentable before the wedding. 

Now we're just shy of 8 months out from the wedding, I've gain 20+ pounds from a medication I was put on (and am on my way off of thank god) and despite my MOH awesomely getting me the Buff Brides book, despite finally being able to make it through my bollywood dance class (I was diagnosed in March with Fibromyalgia) I've got jack-all motivation for losing weight, or at least toning up.

I've joined fitnesspal.com and my month brides are pals with me on it but I just feel like a loser for not losing weight or eating right.  I don't exercise as much as I should and I know it's what will help my symptoms and help me lose weight but I just can't find the motivation.  I have my 'meet the dress' appointment in March and I'd really like to lose the gained 20lbs by then but....I'm starting to lose hope.

Sorry this is so long:(

Liz

Re: Lack of motivation - where do you find yours?

• I know how you are feeling, as I struggle iwth motivation myself. I find it helps if I lay out my workout clothes the night before. It is a little step but it helps me. And when I start telling myself reasons to not work out I just tell myself to shut up and go, I'll feel better when I'm done. 
  • Hi Liz, I know exactly how you feel regarding the weight issue and the lack of motivation. August 26th was when I hit my rock bottom. Surprisingly what I finally realized was that I couldn't do it alone. I joined weight watchers and today I am down 25 lbs and still going. There are definitely weeks when my weight is up a little but the accountability part is what I needed. The other thing that motivates me is my dog. I now make it a priority to walk her every day for a minimum of 2 miles. Days that I have no interest in walking, she pushes me out the door. She will get her leash and sit by the front door until I have no choice but to go for a walk. Good luck on your journey. If you need any help or a weight loss buddy let me know. My email address is [email protected] Jul
  • Hi, Liz. Like the others here, I can commiserate. Loosing weight is hard. Keeping it off is harder.

I think the most important thing for you to remember right now is that your FH loves you as you are right now. If you gained more weight, he would still love you. When you loose weight, he will continue to love you. It sounds chhesey, but I find I need to step back and remember this when I'm hating my body.

With that out of the way, every diet is goingto come down to eating less and moving more. It sounds simple, and yet it's amazingly hard to do. Try small steps to get you into the swing of things.

Start small with the exercise. It sounds like you found something fun with your Bollywood dance class. How often does the class meet? On off days, try doing something else. Walking is easy and free. Take a walk around the block after dinner. If your schedule allows it, try taking a 15 or 20 minute walk during lunch. Maybe enlist a coworker to go with you. Once you start getting used to exercise, I think you'll find you might actually want to do it. Good luck!
  • Hi Liz,
    I can understand the medical weight gain and lack of motivation.  About 7 years ago I lost 120 lbs.  I felt so good being slim for the first time in my life.  I did it over a period of a couple years with the help of TOPS.  I loved those girls.  Then I got divorced and moved to a different town and joined a new TOPS group.  It was never the same.  I gradually gained about 60 lbs back.
    I lost some of it again after my FI gave me a trip to Mexico a few years ago for X-mas. Unfortunately I ate good in Mexico and came back lazy. 
    I also was diagnosed with Hydrocephalous a few years ago.  It causes me to have constant horrendous headaches.  I take all kinds of medication for this and had a brain shunt inserted a few months ago.
    I have gained another twenty pounds since my surgery that I need to lose in order to fit my dress on Feb 7th, 2012.
    I have met a friend on here and we are encouraging each other.  She joined weight watchers in her town and I joined it online.  We have been messaging each other each day to see if we have exercised, eaten good and talking about any other challenges that come along.  I have had a good week because of this.
    The moral of this long story is what works for me is to find a friend for encouragement  and some kind of weight loss support group for accountability and help with weight loss issues.
    Good luck to you!
    imageAnniversary
  • Thanks guys!  You've all had a lot of great input and ideas.  It's been really helpful and knowing that I'm not alone helps a LOT.

<3
    L
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_lack-of-motivation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:8cd5305c-1cce-41b8-8828-1f1599eec6b1Post:c51df165-88fe-448c-8e8f-124021aa4193">Re: Lack of motivation - where do you find yours?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I did it over a period of a couple years with the help of TOPS.  Posted by rmontpas[/QUOTE]

what is TOPS?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • TOPS is short for Taking Off Pounds Sensibly. While I have heard of it, I'm not sure how it works but I'm sure you can google it.
  • TOPS is a weight loss support group.  You go weekly for a weigh-in and meeting similar to weight watchers.  They advocate proper eating and exercise as a life change rather than a diet.

imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards