Plus-Sized
Options

Frist dress appointment

Hi Everyone! I'm new here and wanted to stop being a creep and actually say hello!

I'm very excited because I have an appointment on Saturday to start searching for dresses. I've done plenty of online searching, but this will be my first real life appointment with actual trying-on involved. Normally I'd be nervous, regarding size issues and whatnot, but, surprisingly, I'm feeling pretty good so far! Just wondering - any tips for me? Like, who to bring with me, what kind of ungarments to wear, how naked do I really have to get in front of the consultant, etc.

Thanks! : ]
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Frist dress appointment

• Options
    Make sure you have a strapless bra, and panties that cover your bottom. (I wish I did!)
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    a strapless bra, modest panties, spanx if you plan on wearing them at the wedding (it helped give me an idea of what I'd look like in the dress with shapewear, and also, helps with the modesty thing.  Spanx covers a lot more than panties do.

Also, if your hair is long, bring a hair tie. It gets hot in those dresses.  On that note, have a bottle of water, and maybe a snack, granola bar, something.

As far as how naked you will be... you will be in your underclothes.  they have to get you in and out of the dresses, so you will be standing there in your panties and bra, so make sure they are clean. ;)

For WHO to bring.  I would limit your crowd.  The more people, the more opinions. And you will get frustrated and flustered. It will be hard to remember which one YOU liked compared to mom, best friend, sister, etc.   So, one or two trusted people is my best recommendation. Any more than that, will be chaotic.
  • Options
    Also make sure you sit in the dress. I didn't the first time I went.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    How revealed you are in front of the consultant may depend on the dress style and on the procedures of the particular bridal salon/store. I was told to step into each dress and then give a yell when I was ready. Then the consultant came in and fastened the zillions of buttons running up the back of the dress, so I was never standing in front of her (or anyone) in my underwear. However, these dresses were all of the "A-line" type: there are probably some styles that absolutely require another person's help simply to get into.

Ditto PPs who said to bring a strapless bra.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bring people who will be positive but honest too. There person who says you look great in everything when you know you don't, leave that person at home. The water & snack is a good idea. Also be open minded to trying on styles you weren't even considering. Doll yourself up some. Along with sitting down, try walking in the dress and if you're into dancing, dance around some. I love my dress and I thought I looked beautiful. Things to take into consideration location & time of year because some of those dresses can get really hot if they are heavy. I loved the dress that I picked out but thank goodness I had a November wedding because it was so big & heavy I was running around in 40 degrees in a strapless dress & was totally comfortable. In fact I was still sweating under the dress.
  • Options

I agree to wear more modest undies.  As for the bra - I used a longline from the store (David's) rather than wear my own normal or strapless.  I don't think wearing my own strapless would have helped at all as it would have been really unrealistic to what shape/support the dresses needed.

I didn't get undressed in front of the consultant at all.  The consultant gave me the option to try and get things on by myself and if I needed help I could call for her or someone I brought with.  My MOH helped me fasten up the longline (after I got it on so I wasn't uncovered) and after that I got in and out of them all on my own minus the final zip.  So I would suggest being prepared to be half dressed in front of a stranger, but don't be afraid to ask to be left alone or have a friend come in if that's more comfortable for you.

And definitely ditto PPs on not taking too many people.  It's hard to keep them straight in your head after a few and too many opinios would just be confusing.  My mom was my best sounding board - she was marvelous about giving her honest opinion without being at all insulting to me/my body.  And I knew that going in; I also knew if I had my g-ma I'd likely end up in tears about feeling too fat (not that g-ma would say something intentionally hurtful, just the way she is).  So trust your gut on who will be helpful and who won't.  Once I'd narrowed it down and thought I knew which one I wanted THEN I invited g-ma to come see, b/c I knew she'd be much less critical if she knew I'd already made up my mind and she still got to be included.

• Options
    This is all great advice. Thank you all so much! Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards