Plus-Sized

Couch to 5K

Has anybody tried this program with any success? I'm not a huge fan of working out, but I thought this might help with getting me to the point where I can run. Just wanted some input.
BabyFruit Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Couch to 5K

• edited June 2012
    I saw this on Pinterest and have also been thinking of trying it!  I have a few friends who have done it before and had good results.  For someone who is not a runner (I find it boring, no matter how awesome the music coming from my earbuds), I think it might be a good program to try, because from what I understand, it really makes you want to keep up with the schedule.  If you decide to try it, good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker siggy 6
  • I have been thinking about trying this too. I have been trying to do the 30 day shred video by Jillian Michaels. I think it would help with endurance. 
  • I tried it about a year and a half ago (back when I was really out of shape--since then I've lost a lot of weight) and I really liked it. The only reason I stopped was because I have bad knees and running on concrete is bad for me, so I only did it a couple of days and then stopped and switched to the elliptical instead. But I've heard of tons of people doing it successfully, since it's all about incremental changes which seem like a really good idea.
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Couch to 5K is a great way to start running!

Two few notes on the program - 
    1. It says your running pays should be not much quicker than a walk on your first time through the program, and they are right.  If you start it at your ideal running speed, it will be nearly impossible to keep up with the schedule.  So, pick a comfortable, not too strenuous running speed for YOU.  Nothing wrong with any speed, as long as you're still jogging and not speed walking.

2. It's okay to skip a day, or repeat a week.  If you need to skip a few days, just repeat the week.  If you try day one of the next week and it's too much, go back and repeat the last week.  It's really a program meant to be taken at your own pace (provided you aren't totally slacking off Wink)

Anniversary
  • AnitaH08AnitaH08 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    I tried this program when i first started working out a year and a half ago. When I started, I could barely make it running for a minute straight. Two or three months later, I was able to run 3 miles without stopping. It was HARD, but I did it. Like someone else mentioned, you have to be sure to set a comfortable pace and not push yourself to go too fast.

Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i LOVE that program!  i did it twice i think.  the first time, i had to quit because i was getting huge shin splints.  but then i realized (read) that i had horrible running form.  as soon as i fixed that, i was zooming through the program!

if you have questions about your running form, feel free to ask.  i feel like a pro now that i just went through that hell.  running wrong REALLY hurts!
  • I do !!!
    i just started this program (because of this post) i am going to repeat week 1 i think 3 times to get me used to it cause i hate the jog part but i know it is good form me - and Shin tips would be great - i try to stretch after & before  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards