Plus-Sized

Undergarments?!

I'm getting married in January and I'm supposed to be making my first dress appointment very soon. I already picked the dress out and its a size 20, but I have a lot of that "muffin top" that comes out when I try the dress on. My fiance is coming home from Afghanistan in a few days and he's going to help me slim down before the wedding, but what kind of undergarments should I buy?? I want to look slim, mostly up top but I don't know what would be best. Any help ladies??

Re: Undergarments?!

• edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_undergarments-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:b4999a53-028d-4818-a4d9-a3b944112ffdPost:32f139db-2f16-4332-852d-8f505f7d54aa">Undergarments?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married in January and I'm supposed to be making my first dress appointment very soon. I already picked the dress out and its a size 20, but I have a lot of that "muffin top" that comes out when I try the dress on. My fiance is coming home from Afghanistan in a few days and he's going to help me slim down before the wedding, but what kind of undergarments should I buy?? I want to look slim, mostly up top but I don't know what would be best. Any help ladies??
    Posted by xorissabearxo[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Spanxx can be your best friend!!!! They have a wide variety of upper body, lower body and even full body under garments that can suit your every need! They slim, suck in and smoothe out what you need them to!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_undergarments-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:b4999a53-028d-4818-a4d9-a3b944112ffdPost:32f139db-2f16-4332-852d-8f505f7d54aa">Undergarments?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I<strong>'m getting married in January and I'm supposed to be making my first dress appointment very soon</strong>. I already picked the dress out and its a size 20, but I have a lot of that "muffin top" that comes out when I try the dress on. My fiance is coming home from Afghanistan in a few days and he's going to help me slim down before the wedding, but what kind of undergarments should I buy?? I want to look slim, mostly up top but I don't know what would be best. Any help ladies??
    Posted by xorissabearxo[/QUOTE]

<div>Are you already having your first fitting?  That seems a bit soon for a January wedding.  I am getting married September 22 and have my first fitting next week. The usually reccommend fittings start 8 weeks prior to your wedding.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree about the timing being too soon. If you are planning on slimming down, you should wait until at least October to book an appointment. You could lose a lot of weight before then. I would wait. Unless you dress needs a total overhaul or you are having a custom dress made, you can wait awhile for the dress fittings to start. Spanx are great. 
  • Is there a specility bra shop in your area?  I live in Sacramento and went to one referred to me by my plus size bridal shop.  I got a bra that is like a corset...makes my girls stand up and comes down to the waist...It makes my dress look great and gives me more of a better look.  Good luck
  • Something like spanx, but the spanx brand doesn't fit me right. I like the delta burke brand of shapers, but they seem to be hard to find any more. I think you have to find a brand that works with your body. Also if you do go with spanx, you need to go up a size or two. They run really small.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • In Response to Re:Undergarments?!:[QUOTE]Something like spanx, but the spanx brand doesn't fit me right. I like the delta burke brand of shapers, but they seem to be hard to find any more. I think you have to find a brand that works with your body. Also if you do go with spanx, you need to go up a size or two. They run really small. Posted by smartn
    2sexy08[/QUOTE]

I do not have this experience with spanx. I actually buy one size smaller than the size chart recommends for my weight and height. I think it depends on your body type.
  • Thank you so much everyone! I'll wait a few more months until I slim down and then go in for a fitting :
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_undergarments-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:b4999a53-028d-4818-a4d9-a3b944112ffdPost:dd0ce694-3f01-44aa-8254-50c2380d67fa">Re:Undergarments?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Undergarments?!: I do not have this experience with spanx. I actually buy one size smaller than the size chart recommends for my weight and height. I think it depends on your body type.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

<div>I also have to buy a size smaller.</div><div>
    </div><div>However, I *LOATHE* Spanx. Honestly. I know they are super popular but... I find them to be so uncomfortable and ugly and I find they flatten out my curves. I always feel like a sausage in them. If it were me, I would just try and lose a little weight and get a corset. I find corsets to be more comfortable, which is weird probably, more flattering and just all around better. They also look pretty! You can get good plus sized ones at Fredericks.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think it depends though, because Spanx really does the trick on smoothing. So if you have a dress that is more fitted in the butt or thighs and you need help smoothing those areas, Spanx might be the better option.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can anyone suggest options when Spanx don't fit? Even the biggest is too small for me
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards