Plus-Sized

Alright I am talking about it....backfat

I have a corset dress and I am cocerned about the amount of back fat that will hang out the back. I am 38 days away and my dress isn't in yet, but the sample was a 20 and there was SO much fat hanging out :( They ordered me a 26 and my jean size is a 22. I am a little freaked that my dress isn't here yet. but also worried about the back fat.
I am not a girly woman and don't dress up often so I have no idea how this all works. Will they just make the corset loose? It is a strapless corset, there is a picture in the post "Corset dress, spanx, what if I have to pee"

Thanks ladies!

Re: Alright I am talking about it....backfat

• My consultant assured me that you can tie them so this is minimized.  My first fitting is Saturday, so we'll see. Going to the bathroom will obviously depend on  your dress, but have heard that it works to pee backward?  Haven't tried it though. I just made my bridal party aware that the BF was a concern of mine, so they know to keep an eye out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The corset should be tied tight enough so that the dress stays firmly up, but not so tight that you can't breath.  Depending on how you are shaped, there WILL be some back fat.  And that's really ok, honestly. 

But, there are SOME ways to counter the backfat game.  First, are you wearing a longline bra?

If so, try this.  Put your dress on, but don't lace it up. Then, pull your longline bra WAY up on your back. Like, right underneath your shoulder blades. Make sure the longline bra is nice & snug on you. If you have to buy a smaller size or have it taken in, do that. You want the bra to fit firmly around your waist/back.  

Then, sort of slide the longline bra down. It sort of "tucks" your fat into it as it's being slid down your back.  Then, lace up the dress, and have the top of the corset come up about an inch higher than the longline bra.  With some of your backfat tucked into your longline bra, and that extra inch of dress fabric above the longline bra, it will help hide some of the dreaded backfat.

As far as spanx go.  Honestly, I love my spanx. I wear them pretty often. But, depending on the shape of your dress, you may not need them, especially if you are wearing a longline bra.  The longline bra will help tuck in some of your belly chub, and if your dress is an A-Line or empire waist, the Spanx are usually unnecesary.  The only way I would worry about wearing spanx, is if your dress is a mermaid or a Fit & Flare. 

When you go for your first fitting, make sure you wear whatever undergarments you are planning to wear at the wedding.  It will help your seamstress do the correct alterations to help you avoid backfat or any other body imperfection you are trying to hide.  I had to actually put a snap on the front of my longline bra and the inside bust area of my dress to pull my dress back against my chest.  My first fitting made me look like I had a uniboob !!   But, wearing those undergarments at the second fitting made a huge difference, and we could really tell what needed to be fixed. 

Get yourself a pair of nice control top panties, and be done with it. They are easier to pull down to pee.  And YES, pee facing the toilet.  You can get help from your bestie or your mom.  My partner actually helped me pee.  I faced the toilet, and my dress was basically being held over my head at the time.  I didn't have to unlace everything, just pulled down my undies and adjusted everything when I was done.  No biggie. 

• I have a strapless bra from Layne Bryant. I could not for the life of me find a long line bra in my size :(
    Do you think the strapless will be ok? I am really worried about it now haha! I am already worried about my face being so "fluffy" in all the pictures, just one more thing to worry about I guess.
    I think my fiance will prob be the one to help me pee. He took care of me for months after I had surgery, he is pretty used to it by now! I think I may wear the tight running shorts I wore when I tried on the dress. They are black but you wouldnt see them. It is a lot of dress.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_alright-i-am-talking-about-itbackfat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:c60527e5-669f-41fb-ac39-92661342f404Post:d6f39de5-1864-475c-bfc7-92f70392e5ee">Re: Alright I am talking about it....backfat</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a strapless bra from Layne Bryant. I could not for the life of me find a long line bra in my size :( Do you think the strapless will be ok? I am really worried about it now haha! I am already worried about my face being so "fluffy" in all the pictures, just one more thing to worry about I guess. I think my fiance will prob be the one to help me pee. He took care of me for months after I had surgery, he is pretty used to it by now! I think I may wear the tight running shorts I wore when I tried on the dress. They are black but you wouldnt see them. It is a lot of dress.
    Posted by wagillespie[/QUOTE]

A strapless bra won't have the same "tug" that a longline bra will have. It will help a tiny bit, but the band just isn't wide enough for it to have much of an impact on the backfat problem.

If you want to try a longline bra, try <a href="http://www.lindathebralady.com/" rel="nofollow">www.lindathebralady.com</a>   I was able to find one in my size, which NEVER happens. I am 38H.  I actually had to buy one in an F cup, because my regular cup size was way way way to big. 

If you don't want to bother with the longline, honestly, I say just embrace your backfat.  We are all chubby somewhere.  Some of us hate our backfat, some of us hate our arms, etc.   But, ultimately, just try not to worry about it, and enjoy your day. Backfat and puffy faces and all.  :)
  • if they ordered your size-- you shouldn't have backfat and the person who ties your corset should tie it tight enough so it stays up but not too tight where you can't breathe or have "backfat"  you will be a beautiful bride! don't worry! congrats and good luck
  • You kinda have to massage the back fat to the sides and down... What a weird sentence... 

Lace it up, then have someone slide there palm into the back of the dress and smooth you out.  Like how you have to lift your boobs into your bra to get the right look.... 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• If they size your dress and do the alterations correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about backfat.  The only times I've noticed it is when it was very clear that the brides dress was not sized correctly.  Also I know that sometimes it can be a matter of how low along the back the top of the dress is falling. If I remember correctly, if it is fitted to be higher up along the back, it will help minimize the backfat effect.  Just make sure they take the time to do it right, even if it takes a couple alterations. When you go in for your fittings make sure you're wearing the undergarments you want for the day of.  Otherwise, don't worry about a little bulge here and there, even the skinniest of girls get it, it is totally normal, you're a woman! We are supposed to be fleshy and you're FI is going to think you look amazing, which I'm sure you will. 
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    ahh, backfat. The nemisis of so many brides!   I was so terrified of backfat that I actually added straps to my dress to cover them.  It made a world of difference in terms of my confidence that day.  Maybe you could consider that as an option if you don't like how your dress looks after you try all the other ideas?
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards