Plus-Sized

Need plus-size advice

I need to start trying on dresses for my June 8th, 2013, vow renewal. I'm about 5' 6 1/2" and shaped like a pregnant woman. No, really. People make that mistake with me constantly, congratulating me and asking me when I'm due. I have a very hour-glass figure, large chest wide hips plus I carry a lot of my weight right up front in my stomach. My limbs are rather on the thin size considering my weight (and that's probably why people think I'm pregnant). My assets are my arms, shoulders, back, legs, ankles, and feet. I'm not shy about having any of those uncovered.

Here's my delimma. I hate clothes shopping on a good day! For something as important as this dress, I'm petrified into paralysis. I've not tried a single dress on yet. I'm afraid after putting on a bunch of dresses that look horrible on me, I'll give up and put it off some more. Does anybody have any good ideas to try on my body shape that won't make it look it's worst? Maybe hints on what to stay away from? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Julie

Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Need plus-size advice

• I would tell your consultant to bring you a variety of shapes but also tell her what you want to hide. Most of the ones I dealt with we're very good at their jobs. Best of luck and remember to have fun with it, don't let it stress you out too much.
    November Siggy: STD/Invite inspiration imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I recommend trying on Mori Lee Juiletta if any boutiques carry it in your area. I felt when I was trying on her dresses more comfortable in them. She designed them help hide the stomach, but enhance your curves. My dress has angled rouching to hide my stomach but I have a small waist so it makes me curvy. Definatly check her out - http://www.morilee.com/bridals/julietta But like the PP said talk to your consultant, they are they to help you find your dress and make you feel beautiful on your wedding day. Try not to stress, and have fun!  Keep us posted!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I first set out to look at dresses, I thought for sure I was going to get a dress with rouching.  Everyone recommended it to hide the stomach, but when I tried it on, it was horrible!  I felt it just added more to that area!  The best dress turned out to have a decorative accent right at the smallest part of my waist and has no rouching.

I recommend talking to your consultant and trying on a variety of styles.  I HATED the first 10 dresses I put on and was very upset.....but the 11th dress was IT.

• I agree with staryyangelz..

I LOOVE the mori lee Juiletta collection. Just gorgeous. haven't tried them on yet but everytime I find a dress I like it is from that collection!
    2013 bride interested in joining a weight loss contest? Message me for details!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok, so let the consultant know what I'd like to hide (which will be my stomach), rouching may or may not be a good thing (I'll give it a shot to see), maybe a decorative accent at the thinnest point of my waist would be a nice thing, and try on some dresses from the Mori Lee Julietta collection (there's one about 2 hours away).

Thanks, guys!! This helps sooo much, like a springboard to get this going for me. As soon as I work up my nerve, I'm taking these notes with me to try on dresses and I'll try not to freak out! :)

Julie
  • I've tried on some great ones from Bonny Bridal, the Unforgettable collection. It sounds like we're built in the same way. Good luck!

• You might also consider Alfred Angelo plus size selection.  I'm a huge fan of Mori Lee, but AA was a close second.
  • My favorite dress so far was from Bonny Bridal's Unforgetable collection.  Some things I've discovered that I *love*:  boning in a bodice (holds things up and in) and a corset back.  I loved that back because it could customize the fit (without a lot of pricey alterations) and it flattered my hourglass figure -- helped show that I *do* indeed have a waist!

I had high hopes for ruching; for me, it depends on the fabric.  In satin or heavier fabrics it just seemed to add bulk, but I did try on one chiffon/organza gown where it was a pretty detail.

You can call ahead and ask what sample sizes a salon carries and maybe even whether they have a consultant who enjoys working with plus-size brides.  The consultant at the first place I tried on dresses (was supposed to be a 'maid's shopping trip, but I got talked into trying on gowns) the consultant was so nice!  She made sure that the first gown I tried on would *not* be too small, and just her whole attitude made my day.
  • Thanks, Lolagirl and cmgilpin! I'm putting Alfred Angelo and Bonny Bridal/Unforgettable in my notes. I just looked them both up and I love their gowns!

Julie
  • My dress is a Bonny as well. It was one I didn't even look at, but the consultant said there was something she wanted me to try on. When she brought it, I said NO by the looks of it on the hanger, but she said, just put it on for me, and it was immediately evident that it was "the ONE".  It was the first dress I tried that made me gasp when I looked in the mirror. We joke now that she was the one who "found" my dress for me, but it's true.

My advice? Everyone is different. Don't be afraid to try on anything. It may be that one dress that you would have passed over that will do it for you. And trust your consultant. Mine sure knew what she was doing.  I tried on a few before finding mine, and was just so-so about all of them........until that one. Don't get discouraged, and don't settle. And have fun!  Size doesn't matter.  It's still your wedding dress. Enjoy finding it! And good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I second Alfred Angelo. I just got my dress there this weekend. It was such a great experience. I too was beyond nervous, but  the consultant just put me at such ease ! I was very comfortable in the dress and it showed off all the right curves. My biggest advice would be to try on dresses that you normally wouldn't. I went in with this idea in my head of what my perfect dress looked like and it was the complete opposite of what I fell in love with. It was one that the consultant picked herself rather than something I told her to pull. Trust her!  Good luck and have fun!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • something with an empire waist would work well.
  • Since I have no idea what I want, no preconceived notions whatsoever, I should be a consultant's dream! LOL

Thanks again, everbody! :)

Julie
  • Ok, my 2 cents.  I'm 47 and determined to have an "elegant" wedding..I told the consultant that I wanted something A-Line, not too much bling, not strapless, etc. etc.....I didn't like any of them.  Saw a dress on my way out of the store and it stuck so went back and tried it on.  LOVE IT! It's Sottero & Midgley's Elaine.  I have a stomach that is high, due to a barrel chest (thanks, Dad!) and have also been mistaken for being PG (which is difficult, since I'm infertile).  Anyway, I tried this on and fell in love.  There's a bit of ruching, a bit of bling, and lots of skirt...which takes the eyes away from other areas.  I feel pretty, and fancifull and fun and cannot WAIT  to dee my FI's eyes as I appear in front of him as he's gonna LOVE it! Bottom line, don't be afraid to think outside the box.  My consultant told me that she would have shown me that dress, except for my specifications, which wa totally opposite.  Try on a variety!  
  • crumbcake82crumbcake82 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Just don't be afraid to try on anything.  A lot of the "style for your body type" sites will tell you to try empires and A-Lines.  It sounds like you're an "apple", which is my type.  Almost every A-Line I tried made me look like a cupcake, and most of the empires made me look even more preggo.  Turned out that I looked better (and more importantly I felt sexier and prettier) in fit and flares and trumpets.  Corsets can do amazing things to give you a waist again!  Sottero and Midgley have some nice ones that are budget and plus size friendly, like the Adorae Louise.  The dress I ended up buying was nothing at all like what I had envisioned for myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards