Plus-Sized

Questions.

I have a few of them please bare with me..
Back Story- My wedding was originally planned for 2-21-2013, but we pushed it back to 4-4-13 because we wanted more time to plan and organize and SAVE. Haha.
Well... obviously I'm a plus size bride to be...he's a plus size groom to be...
We've decided we BOTH want to lose more weight pre-wedding.
So... We're going to do Body by Vi shakes (hopefully it will work).

My questions.
1.) I plan on going to David Bridal (it's the only shop close that has plus size in my price range), so do you guys think I could wait until Dec/Jan to find a dress (because honestly I don't think I'm going to get that OMG it's THE dress feeling)?
2.)Would that leave enough time for alterations (probably need the bottom hemmed up since I'm on the very short side, other than that, I hope not much)?
3.) Can I find a veil without the dress?
4.) Tux shopping, when does that happen?

Thank you :]

Re: Questions.

• tux shopping can happen 1-2 months before the wedding (If you are BUYING the tux, go 2 months so he has time for alterations).   For your dress, that is late. Even for David's Bridal, you might have to buy off the rack, which will limit your choices.
    I would go in November/VERY early December at the latest.
  • hi there. congrats on your upcoming wedding! i'm not familiar with the body by Vi shake system, but i would caution that anything that seems too good to be true is just that. you should try and make healthy changes, it wont result in a fast weight loss but it will be better for your health in the long run, plus you will be more likely to keep that weight off. that said, i think you should definitely plan on buying a dress in the size you currently are, not in a size down or something, because that could be very stressful if you dont lose the weight you want to. i will get off my soapbox now. Undecided

for your specific questions:

1. they say 6 months is the shortest time in advance for ordering a dress. ive heard davids bridal is very adamant that you are in at least that early, but i have heard people getting their dress within a few months. i dont think it would hurt to start looking soon, they can take it in up to 2 dress sizes if you lose weight between now and then.  i think you could get away with going in december though if you really want to wait.

2. if you only need a hem, that doesnt take much time. but wedding dresses fit weirdly! so it might require alterations in certain areas depending on your measurements. i would ask them at the shop how much time they require.

3. if you have your heart set on a specific veil, you could get that and find a dress to compliment it. but that could really limit your dress choices. or if it's a simple veil then it would likely go with a lot of styles.

4. the knot recommends having your guys geet fitted a couple of months before the wedding. it doesnt really take too long, but if you want one of the newer styles or if you want a specific color that is limited, i would just go and get it reserved for you. for example, mens wearhouse has a light grey tux, and since its the only one of that color, it can sell out, especially if there are other weddings on your day. that is pretty rare though.

hopefully this helps, good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • elio23elio23 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:eb8eb7e3-ee52-4dfa-b837-9fa07cdaa648Post:8dd07898-8b3c-41f5-8a60-1aaf1c181b63">Re: Questions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]hi there. congrats on your upcoming wedding! i'm not familiar with the body by Vi shake system,<strong> but i would caution that anything that seems too good to be true is just that. you should try and make healthy changes, it wont result in a fast weight loss but it will be better for your health in the long run, plus you will be more likely to keep that weight off.</strong>

Agreed!

Since you're limited on time and are very committed on losing weight I think you should go dress shopping sooner rather than later and buy ONE dress size smaller.  Some tips- find a dress that flatters your body now (as it will also flatter your body after weight loss). Look for a corsett back, TRUST ME- it works wonders.  It will also be able be able to accomodate another size smaller and your original size in case you are unable to lose any weight.  Having that "wiggle room" will really cut back on alterations.  

I know David's Bridal is like a go-to for brides on a budget but there are also dresses out there that are also budget-friendly.  You just have to know where to look.  I would HIGHLY reccomment Alfred Angelo.  Their dressed really do flatter all figures and they are constantly having sales.  

As far as accessories go, I would honestly wait until you have a dress.  Not only to make sure the style matches but also the color.  Whites and Ivories differ by brand.  

I can't help you with the tux's because my boys all wore their own suits.  

Good Luck! :) 
    ETA for spelling :P
    imageimage
  • I bought my dress of the rack the first day of looking but that is not the norm, lol. I went shopping in early December for my August wedding and then my dress sat for several months. You need to plan for the scenario where a dress needs to be ordered. Typically you want to leave about a month for alterations (usually a bride has 2-3 fittings.) Since you'e getting married in April, you're either in the off-season or at the very beginning of wedding season, depending on weather in your area. That makes your alterations a bit easier because the seamstresses will likely have a lighter schedule. Personally, I would go shopping at least six months out for two reasons- one, it allows you to order a dress if you have to and two, a lot of proposals happen over the holidays so there's some excited shopping that happens after December and November. Plus it's not unusual for people with summer weddings (like me) to also go shopping for their dresses around that time. I would plan to go shopping by the end of October. Since you already are unsure of finding "the one" quickly, you should give yourself plenty of time to look!

Guy's tuxes can be done the last month before the wedding. My husband didn't know what they were wearing until mid-June (tuxes or suits?) and then he didn't have all his guys outfitted until mid-July (with suits,) even though I had wanted that settled earlier, hah. Undecided 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would start looking now.  If you lose weight, the dress would look even more fabulous.  Most dress shops recommend 6-9 months.  David's Bridal is usually sooner, but do you want to add stress to your wedding planning?  Not to mention, you would be trying to look for a dress smack dab in the holiday season and you might be busy with other stuff.

Also, unlike a PP mentioned, I would NOT recommend ordering a smaller size.....order the size you wear at that time.  Many people have the best intentions to lose weight but for one reason or another it doesn't happen.  It's a lot easier to take in a dress than to let one out.  And you can generally take in a dress two sizes.

Oh, and trust me, you can still have that "I love my dress" feeling now before you even lose the weight.  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards