Plus-Sized
Options

Yet another post about undergarmets

I put a deposit down on my dress today (YAY!) which means I need to purchase my undergarmets ASAP so I can have my first fitting A.S.A.P. 

I am a very awkward size- In street clothes I am somewhere between a 16-18 depending on size, but 18 is almost always too big and a 16 rarely fits. I really need some "tightening" around the mid-section and a good "lift" for the bra, and I'd like it to extend down to my thighs to prevent any rub...  I have HUGE thighs. 

I have tried shapewear on at department stores before but I usually cannot fit into it. Looking for specific recommendations or ideas..... thanks! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

74 Invited image
44 image are ready to party!
31 image declines
0 imagecan't find the bleeping mailbox
RSVP Date: Sept 24

Re: Yet another post about undergarmets

• Options
    My dress is a corset back so I have no Spanx underneath, BUT I'm wearing these thin nylon short shorts I got at Kohl's to prevent thigh rub. 

A good suggestion is the Monistat Chafing Gel - it has nothing to do with yeast infections it's just from the same brand!  It's a silicon gel-to-powder that will help with skin irritation from rubbing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    I think you and I are built the same way- at least from tummy down. I don't know about bra, but I get my shapewear/spanx from Avenue. I have heard all sorts of tips like the anti-chafing gel and deodorant and stuff for thigh rub, but nothing seems to last more than an hour or two, so I always just stick to spanx. Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I literally have about ten windows open with different undergarment options. How is a girl supposed to choose? 

The nearest Avenue is about 45 minutes away from me, so I will try and get there next week (moving this weekend) to try items on in store... that will make it a lot easier than ordering online! 

ETA: What works better? 
    • High Waist Shaper (down to thigh)
    • Thigh Slimmer 
    • Waist Cincher
    • Singlet (the kind where you can wear your own bra) 
    • Other... explain! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

74 Invited image
    44 image are ready to party!
    31 image declines
    0 imagecan't find the bleeping mailbox
    RSVP Date: Sept 24
  • Options
    Either way, even if your thighs are where you need the most smoothing get the singlet or high waist. 

Reasons: the singlet smoothes everywhere with no little places for flesh to sneak out lol.  Its best if your dress has straps or sleeves but you can also just tuck the straps. Bathroom wise... yeah not so much. The high waist cincher (down through the thighs) is the next best thing. Put it on and then put your bra over it... then you get the same effect as the singlet.

Make sure you have a good bra... plain and simple... go to get fitted by someone with a certification of some sort not just sales people they let sell bras. A good bra can do alot.
    Let me know if you have any more questions... more than happy to help.

Best of luck!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_yet-another-post-about-undergarmets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:f2cba34b-6081-4680-89b8-c9ff7942789cPost:594ffef8-b619-44c6-b681-42000585502f">Re: Yet another post about undergarmets</a>:
    [QUOTE]I literally have about ten windows open with different undergarment options. How is a girl supposed to choose?  The nearest Avenue is about 45 minutes away from me, so I will try and get there next week (moving this weekend) to try items on in store... that will make it a lot easier than ordering online!  ETA: What works better?  High Waist Shaper (down to thigh) Thigh Slimmer  Waist Cincher Singlet (the kind where you can wear your own bra)  Other... explain! 
    Posted by insanityofamom[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards