Plus-Sized
Options

NWR: Worst Night Ever (Vent)

Ugh. So I just had the worst night ever as far as sleep goes, and I have no reason to post it on this board other than I like you guys. 

So I went to bed around 11, and at 1am my smoke detector starts loudly chirping every minute or so, waking me up. My roommate is out of town, and I have 9 ft tall ceilings, so I have to go get a small ladder to reach the thingy to shut it off. Normally, the ladder is kept next to our washer/dryer, but it wasn't there. So I had to go into my roomie's room and dig through her stuff - that felt uncomfortable invading her space when she's gone - to find the ladder. Then I climbed up, pushed the button that says "push to hush" on the smoke detector only for it to START GOING OFF full blast. I push the button again and it shuts up. So I go back to bed.

5 am. CHIRP. CHIRP. CHIRP. Every minute or so. Again. Seriously!? It's only been like, 3 hours?! So I get up and figure that maybe if I take the bad battery all the way out of the thing, it will not have anything to chirp about. I try that, and to no avail. CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP. So I remember that when I was digging through roomies stuff I could barely hear it. I close my door, drag my pillow and blanket to the couch, and try to plug my ears long enough to ignore it and continue sleeping. Turns out it shuts itself off after about 15 minutes of chirping. I manage to doze anxiously for half an hour. 

6 am. I get up because I can't sleep anymore dreaming about the fvcking smoke detector chirping and decide to go the grocery store and buy new batteries. I go, buy new batteries and decide to reward myself with a Toaster Strudel for breakfast. I get home at 6:20, replace the battery (NO MORE CHIRPING, YAY!) and am anxiously watching my breakfast toast. It was frozen, and THEN SUDDENLY, IT WAS BLACK, AND THE FVCKING SMOKE ALARM IS GOING OFF! I turn on the fan over the stove and open a window until it shuts off... and eat a burnt Toaster Studel. 

Needless to say, it has not been my morning when it comes to smoke alarms. I managed to get a little more sleep, but continued to have nightmares involving the chirping noise. Ugh. 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: NWR: Worst Night Ever (Vent)

• Options
    Sorry that you had a horrible night.  Our smoke alarm is so senstive and goes off when I blow a candle out.  I want to take it down all the time but I know that is a horrible thing to do and my  FI-the firefighter-would kill me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bruna29bruna29 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Ugh that sounds like an awful night. I'm sorry it sucked so bad.

On a related note, this whole thread reminded me of an episode from Friends. Phoebe's fire alarm keeps beeping and she ends up taking the whole alarm off (causing it to start ringing louding), at which time she throws it down the garbage chute. Then the firefighters returned it to her apartment, and she couldn't get it to stop ringing even though she presses the "reset button" and everything. Hilarious.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    that stinks, and even worse that it was a sunday night/monday morning. I hope you can grab a nap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards