Maine
Options

license the day before the wedding

Can anyone think of any reason why it will be a problem to get our marriage license the day before our wedding? It would be very difficult for us to do otherwise. This has been the plan all along since we currently live in Massachusetts but I can't get rid of the anxiety that something will go wrong at the last minute. I've called the town office and they said it should be fine, they are open, etc. Any thoughts? I may just be needing a place to put all of these overwhelming emotions that I am getting married in less than 2 weeks!  

Re: license the day before the wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If the town clerk says it's fine, you should be okay.  Two weeks--that's so exciting!  Where in Maine are you getting married?
    Knitting Blog
    Updated 3-12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reassurance! We're getting married at Clark's Cove Farm in Walpole. I can't believe it is almost here!
  • Options
    kev'sbridekev'sbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we got ours 2 days before and it wasn't a problem.  Just double check with the town where you are getting married~ we had to fill out an "intent to marry" and have it notorized before we got the lic. (might have just been the town policy)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was nervous about the same thing as we were planning on getting our license 48 hours before the wedding and the town clerk assured me it would be fine.  Her argument was "you can get the license in 10-15 minutes and go into the parking lot and get married right afterward."  Haha!  Anyhow, she was right.  Just double-check the town clerk's hours before you leave and you should be all set.  :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For Yarmouth we also have to fill out an application and get it notarized, but there should be one or more notaries at your town clerk's office.  If you print it and fill it out before you get there and then sign it before one of the notaries there, you should be all set.  Or truck on up to Yarmouth and I'll notarize it for you ;)
    Knitting Blog
    Updated 3-12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much I feel so much better about this! At this point it is great to have one less thing to be worrying about!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely check with the town clerk to make sure you can get it on the same day you show up to apply for it. Some towns require a 3 day waiting period or something. At least, that's what it said online.We got ours the day we showed up. Took about 10 minutes total.
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards