Maine

the reviews are in for Ogunquit, Maine...

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} Ah, the wedding is over…time to write some reviews.  I got married Aug 2, 2009 in Ogunquit, Maine.  A destination wedding for me because Maine is amazing!!  Here are some thoughts on the vendors up there:   1)      Hair: After being bitterly disappointed by Janelle at Esse Studio, who never showed up for our scheduled trial run, I booked with Tina from The Roaming Artists (http://www.theroamingartists.com/).  I cannot say enough wonderful things about this woman.  Being from Atlanta, I had 3 days before the wedding and had never worked with her before but when she arrived on Thursday for the trial run, she listened carefully to what I wanted and “got her hands in it” as a true artist needs to.  The design she came up with was a great combination of what I wanted to reflect in my personality and my husband’s --we are polar opposites.  The day-of final version was so beautiful I actually cried when she showed me in the mirror.  I could not have been happier with her work.  Additionally, she is on-site and includes travel (up to a certain mileage) in her price, which was already comparable, if not less expensive, than quotes I got from the local salons.   2)      Make-up: Kristen Dewhurst uses all natural products, was very sweet, punctual, and quick!  I hate wearing make-up and she did a great job of working with what I am without over-stating.  I found her through Genesis Spa so give them a call for her number.   3)      Dress: Bride Beautiful in Atlanta—helpful staff, great selection, great prices.  ALTHOUGH, had it been open when I was dress shopping, I probably would have preferred to buy “pre-loved” and there is an awesome store that just opened called Le Dress on Peachtree/Piedmont.  It is clean, also has a great selection, and the staff is very nice.   4)      Flowers:  I found Calluna Flowers through the Seacoast Bride magazine and her designs were amazing.  Vibrant, unique, and beautiful.  However, I am a “green bride” which meant that I tried to make everything about my wedding as eco-friendly as possible.  Heather from Calluna was not well-versed in this area, though, and she was a little reticent to work with me on that.  I have to say it is not easy because to be totally green you have to use local flowers, they have to be seasonal, be grown without pesticides, and no floral foam or wire used in the arrangements.  This made her job a lot more difficult.  She did end up using local and seasonal flowers (even got me Dahlias after a crazy rainy season up there) BUT she conveyed to me very clearly that it was frustrating to her.  She did not make a lot of time to meet with me while I was visiting with vendors in February (the only time I’d be up before the wedding), she was short in her email communications, and I felt I was bothering her when I called.  This could just be her personality, but I did not like feeling brushed off. However, in the end, the flowers were AMAZING.  My bouquet was so perfect I did not want to put it down!   5)      Decorations: I actually had a decorator (for reasons to be discussed later).  Kelli O’ Conner, from Get-A-Clue Productions does theater work so she did a great job of setting the stage.  I did not get a chance to meet with her in advance to discuss my ideas completely, so the end result was not exactly what I envisoned, but it looked fantastic.   I am not going to be that crazy bridezilla who screams when it isn’t perfect J The beeswax votives and floating candles for the centerpieces came from Bloom’s, the other florist in Ogunquit.  Michelle, who owns the place, is an all green florist (which I did not know until after I had contracted with Calluna) and she owns a shop called Minka, which sells eco-friendly jewelry, lotions, etc.  So, she was able to make eco-friendly candles for my wedding at a very low cost!  AND, I got to reuse the materials because I had purchased instead of rented, as I would have had to do through other vendors for the candles.   6)      Band:  Tish Campbell and Friends can’t be beat!  Amazing vocals, creative instrumentals, a six piece jazz band who did not break the bank!   7)      Photographers…have to wait and see the finished product!   8)      Venue:  Ok, here is where I pour my heart out.  The Beachmere Inn is a breath-taking location, with an expansive, rich, green lawn overlooking the Marginal Way and the ocean.  I mean, man, what a view!  BUT my experience with the “wedding coordinator”, Donna Lane Cole, was so awful and so absolutely stressful, I would definitely NOT recommend this as a venue for your wedding.  This woman was unprofessional, disorganized, unqualified, and misrepresented herself and the venue throughout the entire process.  Let me answer the questions for you that she will not answer truthfully:  1. NO, we cannot host more than 50 people comfortably at your reception.  Unless it is 100% going to be a sunny day and you plan on holding the reception on the lawn, more than 50 people CANNOT fit in the reception room.  2.  NO, we do not have a “rain plan” that has been practiced and will be effectively executed if needed.  We traveled 2,000 miles to have a wedding on the ocean and it called on account of fog.  YES FOG.  NOT EVEN RAIN.  Who made the call?  You guessed it--the same person who did not want to be bothered with moving the lawn chairs off that green, expansive lawn.  3.  NO, you will not have a “bridal prep” room.  4.  YES, you must book a 3 night minimum and NO the honeymoon night is NOT complimentary.  (Adam and I ended up booking at The Meadowmere Resort for that one night and it was the best choice we made the entire time!)  5.  YES, I will be your wedding planner.  Maybe she does not quite get what a wedding planner does, but it was Adam and I who contacted the vendors, arranged to meet with them, worked out the prices, and confirmed with them a few weeks ahead.  By day-of, I had lost so much faith in Donna that I ended up creating a contact list including every vendor, their emails and phones, their arrival times for the day-of, and what they were doing/bringing and I have it to her so that she could at least have it all in hand at that moment. Three times that day she told me she could not even find that list I gave her.  Hello?!?  6. YES, I will be there for your rehearsal.  Oh, my lord, can you read that again.  Ok, now let it process and wrap your mind around that. On the Friday before the rehearsal, she notified us that SHE WOULD NOT BE THERE!!!  What?!?  You are on the wedding coordinator and you won’t be there to know who my friends and family are and who is supposed to walk when?  WHAT?!?   Ok, so I think you, dear reader, sweet bride-to-be, sitting there trying to decide how to plan your wedding, are starting to get the picture.  So many other things went wrong because of this lady, but basically, you get the gist.  And then my parents tipped her.  WHAT? She did not even thank them.  Wow.     Anyway, overall, it turns out I got married, which was great.  Maine was beautiful, as always, and I will be back.  The wedding experience was fun, my family and friends had a great time, and I am Mrs. Adam Davis!    Write me at [email protected] for references on any of the above.   Happy wedding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards