Maine

Maybe a stupid question

Ok so I know you have to change your name after you get the certificate.But when you change your name do you have to go back to your city hall and change your name on you marriage certificate.My Fi is like you are worrying I am not I just don't know I have never been married before goofball lol.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maybe a stupid question

• edited December 2011
    No.  The marriage certificate is proof of your marriage, not of your name.  Some women don't change their name, and many don't make the decision to change it right away.  Proof of marriage and name changing are separate things, although the proof makes it possible/easy to change your name. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Just adding my two cents here...  For starters I would suggest going to the Social Sec. Office to start.  Be sure to bring your marraige cert. with you.  Most banks will not even talk to you about changing the name on your account until you have a print out from the SS office that a name change is taking place.  ALSO DH might want to join you to the bank as for he may have to sign a signature card or verify name changes on the account if he is on the account.  Nobody told me this and I wasted time.  ALSO when you go the the DMV bring either a birth certificate or recent passport with you along with the marriage cert..  It is a new law that was put into palce last year.  Hopefully this information helps you!  Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards