Maine

?'s to ask when renting a home for a wedding?

Hey Ladies,I am meeting with a private home owner this weekend in hopes to rent her property for our 2010 wedding in August. They have had family weddings there but we'd be the first public wedding. Can you think of any questions I should ask specifically about the property or my wedding? I want to go as prepared as possible :) Thanks

Re: ?'s to ask when renting a home for a wedding?

• edited December 2011
    The biggest thing I would ask about is insurance. Does their current insurance limit YOUR liability if someone is hurt on their property? Would you be liable for damages caused by guests (accidental or not). Would you need to get any sort of liability insurance for the day of (especially if you will have alcohol there) to protect yourself?What are their rules regarding things like decorating, open flame candles, putting things on walls, etc. Are there town noise ordanances? Ample parking available? Also, how many bathrooms do they have? (would it be enough to accomodate your guestlist, without having to rent port-a-pottys?).
  • edited December 2011
    I second everything gabriellelise said. I rented a private home for my wedding and the parking situation wasn't great. I agree to ask about the insurance situation, but I never actually got into that with the owners of my venue. Fortunately for us, nothing actually went wrong, but it would be better to be safe than sorry. One thing I learned is that if you are having the wedding at a private residence, you can't SELL alcohol. You can serve it, but you can't charge money for it or you can be held responsible in the event of a drunk driving accident or anything like that. We paid a security deposit in case of any damages, so you'll want to check on that, also the location of power outlets and things like that, what kinds of kitchen facilities the place has and if your caterer can use them to at least warm up the food. That's all I can think of aside from what pp alread suggested.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards