Maine
Options

Cakes

So the checklist is coming along...next item...CAKE! Would love to hear people's recommendations. I am in the greater Portland area. Thanks for the suggestions! Julie

Re: Cakes

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Cakes Extraordinaire! I LOVED them-- they were so good that people who don't like cake loved their cake. We also used them for the rehearsal dinner. Aside from the taste, Steve was fantastic with the design. I had a very general idea of what I wanted, but more just an idea of what I did NOT want. Steve designed the perfect cake-- it was AWESOME! Exactly what I wanted.Lastly, the price was unbelievable. I thought a cake was going to be so expensive, but we had 2 cakes-- the more expensive spice flavour with cream cheese filling was a 1/4 sheet cake in the back that nobody saw, and then the "pretty" cake that everyone saw displayed was the less-expensive chocolate with mocha frosting. Even with a Sunday delivery, we still came in under budget and managed to have enough cake for our 87 guests plus the top layer of the pretty cake to take home.Their web site is horrible-- really old and doesn't do them justice-- but they were awesome to work with and I can't speak highly enough about the whole experience with Steve.
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely recommend Jessica Parrot from Nothing Bakes Like a Parrot. I haven't had her cake yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from her and she was the only baker in the area who was able to work with my budget when I called her in a panic because the friend who was going to bake my cake isn't coming! I'm getting three cakes from her, the wedding cake, an awesome groom's cake, and a birthday cake for my brother. I'm psyched! :-)
  • Options
    AngelSmittyAngelSmitty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Let Them Eat Cake out of Kennebunk!  We worked totally over the phone and over email...she sent me SEVERAL sketches until she got it just right and sent me samples in the mail!  I absolutely loved working with Gayle and would highly recommend it!  Plus, everyone told us our lemon cake with fondant was SO yummy!!  Most people hate fondant, but b/c she makes her's from scratch it tastes gooood!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had our cake done at Shaw's on Washington Ave in Portland and were very pleased with it.  It was a lot cheaper than some of the other places and it was very good.  We were pleased with it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second Nothing Bakes Like a Parrott! Her cake is fabulous and she's really flexible with letting you choose lots of flavors and stuff. I didn't really get price quotes from other places, but from what I saw on people's websites, her prices seemed very reasonable. Daniele, that's too funny about Cakes Extraordinaire, because I have to admit, I was totally turned off from them because of their website and those '80s looking cake photos on there! I'm very glad your cake was awesome. What did it end up looking like?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MiniMin,My cake was AWESOME! I HATE those really flowery, draped in sugar ribbon type cakes, so mine was much more modern (and mocha coloured!).If I can figure out how to post a photo in the post, I will (but it never seems to work for me-- even if I follow the directions to the letter). If you friend me on FB (Daniele Bucar Cote), then you can see my wedding cake in the wedding album of photos...
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My baker was Owen Dyer of Confection Art in York, ME. My cake was so incredible that it actually brought tears to my eyes when I saw it. It was beyond anything I could have imagined, he let me have a different flavor in each tier for no extra charge, and the taste was to die for. I heard so many people say it was the best cake they had ever had. I really need to make a married bio so I can show off the amazing pictures of it. Let me know if you would like to see pictures though, I'd be happy to send them to you!When we were first passing around the cake, about half our guests said no, they weren't cake people, but after the people who did have cake told them how amazing it was, I'd say close to 90% of our guests had a piece and several people went back for seconds!
  • Options
    kev'sbridekev'sbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Norman's Cakes and Catering out of Cape Elizabeth~ absolutely the best cake I have ever had and he was incredibly easy to work with!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards