Maine

Mini-Moon to your beautiful state!

I'm planning a mini moon for the end of June/beginning of July and am looking for ideas and suggestions on where to go/what to do! FI and I enjoy camping, hiking, road biking, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA!

Re: Mini-Moon to your beautiful state!

• JaimeMarieBJaimeMarieB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • LaciWLaciW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are many fantastic lighthouses on the coast great for biking/hiking around. Pemaquid Point in Bristol, ME and Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth are a couple of my faves!
    ~Laci Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography Bonnie Harrison Photography
  • edited December 2011
    I would also suggest Acadia & the Bar Harbor area.  Have you ever been to Maine before?  For all those things you listed, that area is perfect for that while also being on the coast!
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • StarrbabyStarrbaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Acadia National Park! It's a beautiful drive up Rt. 1, along the ocean, and Bar Harbor is very quaint. You could also fly into Bangor and drive the rest of the way, I think it would take about an hour but maybe someone else could reply with that info. Plenty to do, yet remote. We have hiked Acadia the last two years and will go back again next spring with bikes. There's fantastic bike paths there. Lots of hotels, motels, cabins, etc., to fit any budget. We played mini golf at Pirates Cove one night and it was really a fun trip. There are some great restaurants that serve seafood and just about anything you're looking for. This park would definitely be my first choice. Good luck!
  • KanelopeKanelope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions! No, we've never been to Maine, but it has been my favorite state since childhood. To be completely honest, Nebraska was #1 for a while, until we drove through it on a family vacation! I'm glad FI prefers Maine over Nebraska as well :)
  • edited December 2011
    There's sooo much to do here, good luck picking something!I've never really spent much time in the Acadia area, so I don't really have much of a frame of reference for comparison. But FI and I go camping every summer in Eustis, near Sugarloaf. You can do a lot of hiking there, as well as kayaking and biking. Flagstaff Lake and the Bigelow Mountains are beautiful! It's not as touristy as Acadia and more isolated, so it depends on what kind of trip you're looking for.The Rangeley area is really nice too -- but a very different atmosphere from the coast, so it depends on what kind of trip you're looking for.
    Anniversary
  • kev'sbridekev'sbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have never been to Maine before, I'd definitely go to Acadia.  Drive on Rt. 1 as there are plenty of places to stop and see along the ride, but don't take Rt. 1 if you are on a strict time limit as it is definitely not a highway.  You can fly into Manchester NH, Portland, or even Bangor (it is a 5-6 hr. drive from Boston).  From Bangor, it is just 45min-1 hr. drive (depending on traffic but not usually much more than that).  on Mount Desert Island (on which Acadia is), there are several towns you can stay in but Bar Harbor has the most hotels, motels, B&Bs as well as restaurants and shops.  As for Acadia, there are plenty of hiking trails, bike trails (the carriage roads) and there are numerous other activies you can do as well (kyacking, whale watching, harbor cruises).  There are 2 campgrounds in the park....Blackwoods and Seawall. Blackwoods tends to be the more popular one because it is on the right side of the island (vs. the left side...or "Quiet" side).  you have to call the park for reservations and camp sites book up quickly. There are lots of campgrounds privately run as well.  Have fun!
  • KanelopeKanelope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've heard lots of great things about Acadia. Any suggestions on where to stay? We were thinking a B&B or cabin.
  • edited December 2011
    Acadia is fantastic, just went there for the first time two weekends ago for a friends wedding. Another spot I've always loved growing up is Boothbay Harbor. Such a cute, quaint New England town, and the best part is taking a boat trip out to Monhegan Island. You can stay on the island, very rustic. There is hiking, and it's FULL of art galleries. Even as you hike you'll pass people sitting down with an easel painting. It has the highest cliffs in Maine, absolutely gorgeous scenery.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kev'sbridekev'sbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are numerous B&Bs and cabins.  One that I have stayed at is the Bar Harbor Motel on Rt. 3.  Their rates are great and there is access to one of the Carriage roads from the back of their property. you can email me for more info if you would like a h heath at yahoo dot com.
  • edited December 2011
    The Moosehead lake region is n hiking and are looking for some quite time to yourselves.
  • edited December 2011
    If you go with Bar Harbor stay away from the Park Entrance Motel, there is a reason why there is not a close up of the property on its website. BIL works in the summer for the company that owns this motel and a couple others on the island(days inn). He gets tired of defending the high prices for the crappy rooms.
    image Anniversary
  • krisdoug13krisdoug13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also suggest Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park!  It is beautiful and it sounds like the two of you would love it!  One of my friends from Mass. got married this summer...that's where her and the hubby honeymooned...they had a great time...they have similar intrests as you and your fi. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards