Maine
Options

might be crazy - advice?

deleted
Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!

Re: might be crazy - advice?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If it will save you a significant amount of money, and this venue is really a "dream" venue for you, then go for it.  It is a lot of money to spend and we have had the "panic" moments too where we wonder what the heck we are doing.  lol.  Just really make sure you know any hidden cost or charges so you know for certain if you will be really saving the money.  I think it will come quick, but it's totally manageable.

I also encourage you to really think about what you envision for your wedding and what is most important to you. If you would be just as happy having it on a Friday night in June as you would the "destination"-type wedding you were planning then I don't see a reason to not do it.  It's also ok to stick with what you've planned.  Yes it is a lot of money, but there are always ways to do things cheaper and maintain the "feel" of the event you want to have.

Keep us updated and let us know what you decide.  :)
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is closer to Boston closer to home for most of your family as well?

I think that it's perfectly fine, as long as you are happy with what you are doing go for it!

Have you already paid your current venue?  Will you lose some of that money?
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chrispygal - Thanks for the advice! I am going to see this new one on Saturday and I'm asking them to put together a RFP with all charges for us before we book, so that we're 100% certain. If after seeing it (I've been to the hotel before, but not recently) I don't really love it more, I'll bite the bullet and fork out the extra cash. 

Fickrj - We would lose only the room deposit, which I've added into the costs of moving venues. It's not a ton and this new place doesn't have a room fee, so I feel like that part is a wash. None of the vendors I booked will charge a fee to move the date. 

Yes, this is closer for most of my guests. I'm feeling excited about the prospect of having my wedding at a 'dream' venue...I just keep thinking "Who does this? Who replans their wedding?" 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure lots of people have!  Remember that the venue WANTS that date booked so negotiate away!  Look for them to throw things in, or reduce even further. 
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good point - I was thinking of asking them to throw in a few more things, so we'll see how well I can haggle. :) 

I just feel like this is coming together - I sent out some feeler emails to other vendors I haven't booked yet (like transportation) and there are some fun, well-priced (i.e. cheaper) options. I'm waiting on the videographer I want who was booked for my original wedding date - if these people are available I might just cry many tears of happy joy. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How are things coming along with this?  If you do switch your venue to Boston, please don't leave us here at the Maine board.  :) 
    Married 9.4.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards