Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Florists: Consultation

Umm....is it normal for the florists to charge a "consultation fee?" I mean, seriously, isn't that their job? I've only called 3 places so far (out of 8 on the list), but one charges $25 regardless of purchase, and the other two want $100 that would be applied to the total purchase. Is this standard protocol.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Florists: Consultation

• Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    not for the florists that i looked at. bettis floral wanted a deposit before doing a sample mtg, but she didn't tell me that before i tried to set it up, so i refused to pay it. we didn't end up booking her either....i didn't like her or her pushiness. who have you called? when i met with kerry at ks kennedy he actually had a bouquet waiting for me to show me, and gladly handed it over to me and even told me to feel free to meet with other florists! sherry at bettis floral told me i could take the CP home with me that she did, but then conveniently did not offer it to us after i refused to give her a deposit right there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely not normal IMO. I didn't pay anything until I booked them and made a deposit. I'd definitely look around, unless you really think you'll like the florist enough and book them.
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They're all out in Johnstown. That's the problem: I don't know any of them, and have no suggestions on "good" ones.Oh, and I just got home and saw your post about the migraines. Unfortunately, I don't drink any caffeine, coffee, eat MSG. I have ample opportunity to unwind and have a routine for myself with bath time and spa night and exercise and meditation/prayer. I usually only get 1-2/wk, so it's still safe to take rescue. I also can't take beta blockers because my resting heart rate is below 60 because I exercise a lot. I've already had MRIs with a neuro and everything. My aura is vertigo, which sucks. I think they're probably just stress related, with starting work and all. They mostly happen at the same time everyday, sometimes carry over night. But I don't know what else I could do to destress besides quit work and stop planning the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... there is a central PA board, right? I don't know how much action that sees though, or if it would be helpful. Any reviews on weddingwire maybe? I'm just trying to think of some resources for you, but am not familiar with Johnstown.
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    Central PA sees mostly girls from State College and further east. Johnstown doesn't get much coverage on the Knot. I can try Wedding Wire though. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bianca, have you tried some Pittsburgh vendors anyway? You have a late November wedding and they might be willing to travel given that it is normally slow in the winter months in the wedding industry.Just throwing that out there!
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion. We're only doing bouquets and bouts, with a budget of (hopefully) around $250. Do people even travel for that much?
  • Options
    EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe try a grocery florist. We're using one here in Lower Burrell b/c our flowers are really very simple. So far for all of the bouquets, flowers for our mom's,  the bouts and altar decor its about $400.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    bel138--that does seem odd to charge a fee and not have it applied to your booking, especially for the johnstown market where I expect it's slower (than pittsburgh for example).  do you have your reception venue picked out?  Try calling your contact there and see if they have any suggestions.  Or if they remember recent weddings and flowers they liked maybe they could call that bride.  just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards