Maine

Groomsmaid?

So, with three months to the wedding, FI has decided he wants to ask his sister to be his fourth attendant. She was hurt when I didn't include her as a bridesmaid, so I'm hoping she'll be happy to be included, and not offended that it seems last minute (FI was very slow in picking all his groomsmen!).

I was hoping you ladies had suggestions about what she should wear. FI thinks she should wear a black dress to match the black tuxes. I know she has a black dress from another wedding she was in, so I thought that would also be easy for her to do with such a tight deadline. The bridesmaids are wearing clover green dresses, so I was thinking she could wear a green sash with the black dress. Or should she wear the same dress as the bridesmaids? Or a dress in the same green color?

Also, should she carry a bouquet like the bridesmaids? I don't think she should wear a boutonniere like the guys, but she could have a wrist corsage like the moms. If she does carry a bouquet, I was thinking of making her bouquet slightly different from the bridesmaids, but I guess I'm worried she'll feel like she's being singled out or otherwise be bothered that she's not being treated like one of the bridesmaids. I really like her and felt really bad about my decision not to ask her to be a bridesmaid, so I just want her to feel comfortable and happy!

I'm sure there aren't hard and fast "rules" on this, but if anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate them!
Anniversary

Re: Groomsmaid?

• mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask her what she prefers. Im having a Brother of honor. He's going to match the men on FI's side. Not sure that helps you though. Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I vote for black dress, green sash, and bouquet to match the bridesmaids. That will also make it easier on you and your florist!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh & I forgot to add, FI is at this moment finally asking his best man to be his best man. 3 months out. Men.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    All the weddings I've seen with men of honor and groomsmaids have always dressed them to match whatever the rest of their gender is wearing.  This way in pictures they don't stand out, but I would say if she prefers to wear the black dress she already has then I think it would still look good, and I agree to have her carry the same bouquet as your bridesmaids. I would ask her how she would be most comfortable and go with that.  Just hopfully you would be able to get a dress in in time if she decided to wear the same as your bridesmaids. Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a jr. groomswoman.  She is wearing a black dress and we are giving her a wristcorsage.  I probably would have added a red sash to go with the rest of the wedding colors, but it wouldn't look right with the style dress she has.  We found the dress brand new with tags on ebay for $0.99 plus $5.00 shipping!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all! We'll talk to her and see what she wants to wear. I feel kind of bad that she might have to order a dress with three months to go, but I will just blame FI. (Mainemommy, I feel your pain! Men!) I just have to get the flower proposal ironed out, so wanted to get some feedback about the flowers. I'm leaning towards the bouquet.

Nice dress find, mlhw!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I would give her a wrist corsage or even a boutineer. I think if you did a bouquet like the BM, then people would think she was the MOH.....JMHO
  • JaimeMarieBJaimeMarieB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My vote is black dress and wristlet.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all! FI asked her last night, and she is SUPER happy to be included! She is happy to wear the black dress she already has, and it's strapless and knee length like the bridesmaids dresses, so will look great! I'm going to get her a green sash or green fabric flower to wear with it (I think the dress already has a sash so I don't know if she would want to layer another one). And I decided on a bouquet, just because it's what I would want if it were me. I didn't even think about people thinking she's the MOH, but the MOH is wearing a different dress than the other BMs, so I think it will be okay. Three dresses in one wedding party -- should be interesting!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards