Maine
Options

dress steaming

Hey Ladies,

My wedding is in Kennebunkport.  I live in NYC and the dress was purchased here.  It's being shipped there.  How does this work?

Do I get it steamed?  If so any recommendations for where?

Thanks!

Re: dress steaming

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems like it would be a good idea to get it steamed after it's shipped. 

I got my alterations done at Henry's in Bangor, and they wanted $20 to steam it, since I didn't buy it there, just to give you an idea of the pricing I found.  If you're flying into Portland and could pick up your dress on the way, somewhere like Andrea's (got my dress there, they're awesome) might be an option, but I don't have any further south recommendations, sorry. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whether you get it steamed or not is up to you.  Make sure that you check in to whether or not the dress can be steamed as some can't due to the material that is used to make them.

I don't have any recommendations as to where to get it done.  Also how many days will you be in Maine before your weddng?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for asking the question since we are in the same exact situation.  :)
    I am flying up there, I think I am taking my dress with me.  But I do worry I may need to get it steamed. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you asked your seamstress about it?  My seamstress was really helpful about figuring out when to steam and how to store it, and asking the seamstress would address flickrj's comment about the fabric being able to be steamed. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies.  i'll check on the steaming allowability.  i guess i'm just nervous that shipping will wrinkle the dress.

jchow-incidentally the nonantum has a steamer on premises.  and if you bought in nyc and ship to maine you avoid any taxes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_dress-steaming?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:516b0cd2-5785-4b8c-8be1-641192237cebPost:e32b400d-e86d-41a7-91a4-aa7ee26b2c0d">Re: dress steaming</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks ladies.  i'll check on the steaming allowability.  i guess i'm just nervous that shipping will wrinkle the dress. jchow-incidentally the nonantum has a steamer on premises.  and if you bought in nyc and ship to maine you avoid any taxes.
    Posted by slwager[/QUOTE]

Good to know, thank you.  Btw, I spoke with the Kennebunkport County, you can call them 3 months before your wedding date and they can start the process on the phone and you just need to go up there and pick up the licence before your wedding.  So I'll plan to call them mid June and we are having our tasting in July and I will pick that up then. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sort of in the same boat. We are driving up from Florida a couple days before the wedding, with the dress in the backseat (in it's bag). I guess I'm going to see if the seamstress will steam it during my final fitting (in Florida) and hope it doesn't get too wrinkled on the drive to Maine?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards