Maine

Portland HM Questions!

hey ladies! My FI and I will be honeymooning in Portland (mostly Old Port) in July. I am looking into Lucky Catch Cruises but have a question...how many people go on each cruise? It said it's recommended that you make reservations, then I saw this little boat and I see why! If you know, I would love if you shared :) Any other recommendations for touristy things to do in Old Port would be great! We're thinking of doing a Portland Sea Dogs game, going to DiMillos, and the Lobster Cruise. So if you know of another tour or show or something to go to that'd be nice of you to tell me. We're not able to venture out of Old Port much because we're not renting a car.
TIA :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Portland HM Questions!

• edited December 2011
    There's tons of stuff to do in the old port.  I think that some weeks there is a reggae fest that happens in the old port on sundays (I forget the actual name of it).  If you are doing any shopping there are tons of great little stores including Stonewall Kitchen (yummy!).
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When in July will you be here?

There is a trolley tour that goes all over the place, including out to Fort Williams/Portland Headlight, which is a pretty touristy place.  There's also one of the Duck Tours here too.

The reggae fest is actually out on Peaks Island and it happens every Sunday during the summer.  The ferry leaves from Commercial Street in town.

We love going to SeaDogs games!  So cheap but so much fun.  Pre-game at Margaritas just down the street (within walking distance). 

Fort Allen Park on the Eastern Prom is just up the hill from the Old Port (walkable if you don't mind hills).  There's a park, a gazebo, a path down to the beach, and a lot of photo ops.  There is also a walking path from the beach that leads back to the ferry terminal and Commercial Street.

I'm not sure where you are staying, but I would recommend trying to make it up to the Top of the East, a bar at the top of the Eastland Park Hotel.  There is a gorgeous view of the city from there.

For shopping, check out Commercial Street, Fore Street, Exchange Street, and Middle Street.  Lots of small shops, including a bunch that sell local stuff.

I've never done any of the boat tours/cruises, but there is the Portland Harbour Cruise too.

There is public transportation available (http://www.gpmetrobus.com/) to help you get to some places that are a bit farther to walk.

Hope this helps! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    thank you so much for the info! we'll be there July 11-15. I will definitely be looking into all of those suggestions...and keep em coming! Wink

• edited December 2011
    Where are you staying?  We stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel recently and loved it.  There are sooooooooo many pheomenal restaurants in Portland as well.   The food really is amazing.  You have to hit the Standard Baking Company (right behind Fore Street) - they have some of the best pastries and bread we've ever eaten.  Whenever we are in Portland we bring home a bunch!  Happy Honeymooning!
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_portland-hm-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:522d563e-decf-4ec5-9006-161c50caaed8Post:dc749e29-f181-4938-b94f-153ea90c7e45">Re: Portland HM Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where are you staying?  Posted by chrispygal[/QUOTE]
    we're staying at either the Residence Inn or Hilton Garden Inn, but I'll look into the Harbor Hotel too :)

• littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have a drink on a waterfront deck - it's perfection in Portland on a nice summer evening.  My two rec's are the Porthole (HUGE deck, and free food Friday from 5-7p and pretty good people watching) and Portland Lobster Company (live music most summer nights).  Both are off Commercial Street, Porthole is down Custom House Wharf.  Honestly, Dimillo's can be pretty touristy - it's neat to have dinner on a floating restaurant, but there's plenty of places to have lobster in Maine that don't charge extra because you're on a boat.  That being said, they do have truly delicious chowder. 

Brian Boru's does an excellent brunch on Sunday's. Local 188 is a great brunch place too.  The parks that PP rec'd are excellent.  Portland has an awesome music scene if you're into checking out live music. 
  • edited December 2011
    We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and the rooms were ok, but they kind of had this weird smell to them.  The rooms at the Portland Harbor Hotel were MUCH nicer and the hotel was prettier too.  The pictures on their website don't do them justice.   That being said I know it is "high" season and I'm not sure of the price difference.  More money on hotels means less money to enjoy other things.  BTW, I highly recommend a beer and the nachos at Gritty McDuff's.  Yummy!
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    ooh good to know about DiMillos being touristy. What other good lobster places do you recommend? Portland Lobster Company and the Porthole? Or are those just good in general?

Don't talk about drinks! I just found out I'm pregnant so I will be on our HM and I am bumming that I can't drink.

• littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the happy news (even if it means no-drinky on the HM).  I would go to Portland Lobster Company over Porthole for lobster.  I've heard Porthole does a good breakfast - maybe you could do that on the deck since drinks are out.  Gilbert's Chowder House might have good lobster prices too. 

If you like french fries, make your way to Duckfat.  Flatbread has good pizza.  Norm's is excellent for BBQ - you will smell like BBQ when you leave, fair warning.    If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.  Have fun on your HM!!
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

esspecially if you pregnant make your way to soakology, foot spa and tea house. It was the best 50 dollars i have ever spent!

My girlfriend and I had a lower leg and foot massage, and foot soak for about 58 dollars. We drank tea and had apples with chocolate. It was amazing!!

(when we went there were couples there--if your FI or then husband gives you crap about it being a spa)

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on being preggo! How exciting!
    Married 9.4.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards